Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Ok thanks SB, will do !
I am going to see what she thinks of the car on tuesday, just sit with her while its running, then me sit in it, holding the lead, with her sitting outside, what do you think?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Yes, if she is not used to being in a car you need to take it slowly.

See if she will sit in the car with you with the engine off & doors open. (If she is outside the car on her lead she might get a bit scared as the engine noise is louder outside than inside and the exhaust might be a bit strong). Give her treats/a chew/a bone, and some strokes and just sit there for a while - you can even sit there with her & read, knit, listen to the radio, etc.. You can then proceed to having her sit with you in the same manner with the engine running.

When she is comfortable with that, drive the car a VERY short distance, eg, end of your drive or a few yards down the road. You might need to repeat these tiny 'experimental' trips several times until she feels at ease in a moving vehicle.

Again, when she is fine with that try a short trip to a fun place, the park, beach, or wherever she enjoys herself.

If she is really reluctant you can even try giving her her meals inside the stationary car.

I must say you are proving to be very dedicated and I am sure you, and Purdey, will be rewarded with success.

Edited to add: When you are driving with her do not reassure her if she shows signs of nervousness. Sing to her, recite poetry, talk to her in a normal up-beat manner to show her that you are not scared of being inside the moving metal monster and neither are you perturbed by the roaring monsters which share the road with you.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Thank you SB
Your'e advice is really helping, i appreciate it.

if you knew purdey you would know why, shes an amazing dog, she derserves to be happy, as do all of us.

I am willing to spend as long as it takes, hopefully by the time we move in 4 years, she will be ready to come with me
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

26-08-2004, 10:30 AM
I am sure that all your hard work will ensure that you end up with a happy, well-adjusted dog. Do keep me up to date with progress.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2004, 10:32 AM
I will SB, thanks again, im sure ill have some more questions for you soon....
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 12:29 PM
UPDATE 31st AUG

OK well ive been really working hard with purdey for months now, and today she really really made me proud.
I decided to walk her with scrump and Ebony ( lab, very confident and friendly), we walked along our normal bridleway, until i saw a huge group of walkers im talking 20 people , i didnt have time to walk back and if i dragged purdey away she would think there is something to be scared of, so i stood with all the dogs just on the side of the path, as they went past, they were all talking to the dogs, i was just talking to purdey asking how her day has been lol, i turned back to see if there were any more people to come, when i turned back a lady was stroking purdey purdey was just sitting next to me, eyes fixed on me!

I cant believe how good she was, i mean she wasnt overly happy about being stroked by the strange lady, but she seemed quite relaxed!
I just looked into her eyes, and i dont know, it sounds silly but she seemed to understand and trust me, that i wouldnt let anyone hurt her.

This is a huge improvement for her, im so pleased, i just need to carry on, but just wanted to let you know, she really made me proud today. [/b]
Carole
Supervisor

31-08-2004, 12:44 PM
thats brilliant news Gems :smt038
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 12:58 PM
thanks carole! shes such a good girl !
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 01:12 PM
aw well done gems you have done a really good job with her.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 05:46 PM
thank you katy! its been hard work but its slowly paying off!
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >