View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Regarding the training, now I am taking this personally because I dont just sit back and say "oh she is a puller" no I did as much training as possible with Kip, like I think everybody should, she still pulls after lots of time efford and money what can I say. You mentioning that any dog can be trained not to pull if you work hard enough, I have no doubt the harder you work the better results sometimes though its not always the case. I am taking that as a personal dig whether it was meant or not because I have worked a lot with Kip I dont just sit back and not bother...What you said in a round about way implies that Kip as a puller is not trained properly or that I have let her get away with this without doing anything about it when I can assure you that is not the case!!!!! I said before lots of people can confuse a dog that pulls and a dog that is badly behaved. In some cases some dogs are just poorly trained or badly behaved, some owners just dont bother or some dogs just like to pull.

I would never advise people to sit back and decide that their dog is a puller without donig any training of course this is silly every dog should be trained whethery they pull or not that goes without saying. If your dog pulls what I am trying to get accross is that it doesnt make you a bad owner or somebody who hasnt spent any time training your animal each dog is different some pull some dont some bark some dont some like people some dont....

I am so annoyed, I am sorry if I have come accross as harsh here but this has really riled me, I may come back later and reply or apologise if its needed but right now I am just peed off lol.
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Sorry I didnt explain properly.
We dont just pull back, we pull him back to heal (while stopped) tell him to 'walk nicely' then continue with our walk. Do agree with you though - some dogs are so detemined. Whether the dog is eager to please or not has a lot to do with it... Some dogs are soo eager to please you, teaching them not to pull will be easier than a dog that dosnt give a monkeys if you didnt like him/her pulling!!!!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Laura u don't half get on the defensive easily, maybe that's why we love yer so much

My comments were not aimed at u specifically and I really didn't meant to upset you, god I'd be too sacred to do that and I'm not that stupid either and as per usual I was not engaing first gear in my brain before typing

The question at the begining was for you BUT the rest of my post was just a generalisation.

Again soz, will u still be my friend
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 02:15 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The thing is lots of owners seem to have a tendency not to care
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

excuse me ??
I do care and I DO putting the effort in
Laura
thats why I answered as I did.
I have spent a lot of time getting Gus to walk to heel but its taken almost two years to do this. He will still on occasion pull- especially if he sees something interesting. I also objected to the comments that the owner isnt doing enough to address it.
Some mightnt but I know I damn well do- I cant afford to be dragged along by a powerful dog which is why I and OH have spent so much time dealing with pulling issues.
Disobedience and pulling are not necessarily the same
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 02:18 PM
I am a hot head a bit like my dogs I dont usually start anything but I never back down if I think I am in the right lol, I get myself too worked up about things but I guess its just because I care, sorry if I was harsh too lol. I do anything for my dogs and perhaps I took your message the wrong way......friends

Lel I understand your predicament we have been the same with Kip 3˝ years later she still like a steam train, sometimes not as bad as others but I just found out through owning different dogs that some had a tendency to pull while others did not having no affect on the way in which they were trained or handled.

Laura
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Awwww group hug

Hey guy's your dog's would probably do well at Weight pulling
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Yeah Staffy Kip is pretty good at it not that we have ever done it professionally at shows just do it ourselves, Cassy just wont do it though she doesnt like anything behind her, even when we started her as a youngster with the usual milk carton and some stones she never took to having something behind her, a while back I tried her with the proper harness etc and she took off for about 10 feet quite the thing I had high hopes but then she realised she had something behind her and just sat down and looked at it then up at me as if to say "well do something" lol we never bothered since. Kip acts as if she never noticed lol.

Laura
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 03:13 PM
rofl Laura I can imagine Cassy's expression. Jas likes to drag my laundry basket about
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 08:18 PM
I wish I had not started this now all I can say in my defence is I engaged my internet connection before my brain

Can I say also though I would not get rid of a dog that pulls and that I have been lcky with mine not being "full on pullers"

If I could do a group hug thing I would at this point.

Please will everyone I have offended accept my apologises. Pretty please

Karen
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2004, 08:20 PM
I didn't get involved in this topic, but everyones entitled to there opinion and so you should all agree to disagree.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >