View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2004, 08:02 AM
The Chesty one does it all the time its called "forging"... have you got a harness, as we have found he doesn't pull quite so much... but on a lead he is a nightmare.

Wearing a harness. also builds there muscles up quicker (i think) because they forge

i hope this has helped (slightly)
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Jasper still pulls occassionally on his lead. Sometimes he walks beautifully other times he's like a bull in a china shop.

Mind u I have had to do a lot of training with him to get him to this stage as before he was a nightmare to walk on lead
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

25-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Sky never pulls on the lead and she is on the lead 99% of time (other doggie problem)

She is fab on the lead will when you get to a junction or end of payment a " Sky wait" and she stops dead and " ok sky" and she starts off again.....
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Oh Kazz what have you started Just kidding with you, I think these remarks are perhaps ill thought but I dont judge people if they have a dog that pulls, particularly Staffords who are notorious for pulling, like it or not it is true. Your dogs dont pull which is obviously great and I am pleased for you but what you are mistaking is a dog that pulls and a dog that is disobedient or untrained and there is a HUGE difference believe me, obviously there are always exceptions to the rule mind.

Well my two are a bit like chalk and cheese, Kip pulls like a steam train she sounds awful too huffing and puffing usually for the first hour of our walk then she settles into a good pace, Cassy is very lady like and never pulls and I am sure she is aware of her own strength though but chooses not to, both dogs I might add went to the same classes and were trained in the same manner. Both dogs are well trained btw.

Cassy does however on occasion pull but its very rare, the last time she pulled was when a firework went off outside late one night which I cant really blame her for.

I think people sometimes confuse with disobedience. We had a personal dog trainer for a while who guaranteed to stop the behaviour and said it was learnt well we tried every method and none worked (stop start, halti, spray etc) she soon realised that Kip was basically just a puller. After speaking with friends who own various bull breeds (Bullmastiffs, Boxers etc) I have resigned myself to the fact that some dogs just pull and some dogs just dont. I have a friend who has owned guardian breeds for 20 years now and was told by them that 50% of their dogs were good on lead and 50% pulled, they said in their expereince that some dogs are just pullers too.

I think bull breeds seem to be the worst offenders but then they are probably pound for pound the strongest dogs around so therefore find it easier to pull and being good at weightpull events etc they are naturals at it .......I mean (no offence to yorkies here) I just dont think you would have the same effect with a yorkie pulling you, oh the strain on your finger would be terrible lol. Just kidding, but what I am trying to illustrate is that while some dogs may pull perhaps its not seen to be as bad as the bull and larger breeds because its much easier to hold back and not let yourself be pulled - if that makes sense. Seriously though, I just accept that pulling is something that Kip will always do.

We always use a collar now, I used to use a harness but I realised that it gave her more scope for pulling because she found it easier on her body than a collar. We started using a 2" collar (for safety reasons) and I find she pulls a lot less and I have better control of her because first and foremost I have control of the head which directs the rest of the body.

Laura
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't have a staff or any dog that was constantly pulling my arm out of it's socket.
Well we accept Kip for what she is I would never say never what if you get a dog that starts to pull at around 8 months and after some training it gets better but the dogs still pulls would you then get rid of it? Kip may pull on the lead which can be frustrating but she more than makes up for it in other ways, a great little dog in and around the house always does what she is told and loves us to death and at the end of the day she pulls, so what, really it doesnt bother me too much she could be doing much worse lol.

Laura
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 09:09 AM
Jazz always pulls at the start of a walk, or if OH is walking her, if me or the kids are holding her she knows she is not to pull 'too much' and once she has gotten into her pace she walks lovely.
Indie is still at the 'rush' stage and wants to explore the world quickly, but will slack off after correction.
i have seen people with both, and as Jazz does both (on and off the mat ) i understand the stafford tendancy to 'rush' at everything
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Indie still pulls like a nutter sometimes, and sometimes she will walk fine.

I think perhaps some people dont train the heel enough, like myself
or there are some people who have been told that their bull breed will always pull so they dont bother training them not to

Or as laura rightly says, some dogs pull some dont, not necessarily subject to bull breeds
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-11-2004, 12:31 PM
I dont think it really matters whether other people let or tolerate their dog pulling. Staffs do seem to pull - we have just got ours a harness and although he still strains on the lead he dosnt pull that much. When he does though he gets pulled back - because sometimes it does feel like he is pulling my arm out of socket. I really dont mind though, as its what I expected when I got into the breed. We are starting obediance soon so that might help - but it isnt the reason I am going there....
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 12:34 PM
Pulling back on a lead doesnt help if you have a puller, it only makes a dog pull forward even more, that was something I knew before but was also told by various dog trainers and handlers.

Laura
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Laura how will anyone know if they have a 'puller'?

You can't just let the dog pull all the time and say 'Oh it's a puller' without even doing any training. I strongly believe that if you work hard enough then all dogs, bull breeds or not, will learn not to pull on a lead
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >