I've got 3 Staffies and they get on brilliantly

Mitch
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2004, 01:45 PM
i have 3 and they all love each other

but if i only had 1 then that would be ok as well
dont get another only for your dog you have to want it for you. like Kazz said i would go for another bull breed as they can play a little ruff
Zion
Dogsey Junior

22-11-2004, 10:20 PM
In my opinion u should wait a bit longer maybe half a year or so...what are u planning on gettin a dog or a bitch??? Just because your dog get alon with all other dogs at the moment there is no guarantee he will not be maleaggressive in 6 months or so....
staffieluv
New Member!

23-11-2004, 12:18 AM
Once you have a staffie you realize how much they want to play...I think another dog is a great idea! I would suggest looking at a female, as some males tend to be male dog aggressive. But again if your dog is young you may not have any issues. Also I think it's best to get a dog that plays as "spirited" as staffies play. Otherwise they won't be a great match as yours is still a puppy and full of energy. I have two staffies, one male and female, so that's just been my experience. Good Luck (just a note we tried getting another female for our 4 year old female and that did not work out well "dominance issues" but a male puppy fit in just fine).
My pups;

http://www.dogster.com/?73544
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Some dogs would thank you for a companion and others wouldn’t its really down to the dog itself. I think most breeds of dog will get on provided they are introduced sensibly and at a good age i.e. and older dog and a pup. I would advise to have one of each sex especially if you go for another bull breed and just make sure that you are fully prepared for what that entails.

I don’t necessarily think you need to get a bull breed just because they play rough some smaller dogs compliment Staffords great and dogs learn their limitations pretty quickly, my friend has a little terrier dog and a huge Staff and believe me the terrier rules the roost lol, on a personal level being a bull breed enthusiast I would say yes go for another bull breed double the trouble but twice the fun.

Although I have two same sex Staffords as above I would never leave them alone together for any length of time, my two are left in crates when I am not at home as it only takes a minute and not so long ago a friend of mine had his Stafford killed by one of his other dogs when he was not at home, they had lived together for years fine then one day who knows what happened so always be prepared and if you do decide on another Stafford enjoy them, they do wonderfully when they are in pairs. Beware of the older dog becoming jealous too I know from experience that you need to be careful not to put his nose out of joint when the pup comes into the house and give him that extra bit of attention to reaffirm his place, its uncommon for an older dog to go for a pup (I was told its also a sign of cowardice) but just beware and prepare yourself for all eventualities.

Good Luck!
IrishEyes
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2004, 11:35 PM
hey hey....u probably know me for all my random questions....well here's another 1....i have Winston a staffie, he is 10months old, and i think he wants a friend too (hence all my puppy hunting&questioning in other forums! ) i have already been told its best to get a pup of the opposite sex....however i was also told its best to get a pup wen ur other dog is still young.....Winston always wants to play and never shown n e aggression against any other dog...although he does get v excited...n e way ive gone off on one....here me Q.. does u think its the right time to get another pup? as i thought it would b best so they could grow up together...also should the new pup be a pup (ie 8weeks) or is an older one ok (ie 3months plus?)

thanx u all sooo mcuh
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Hi Irisheyes
my eldest was 18 months when we got pup at 8 weeks
both got on brilliantly
depends entirely on dogs concerned and you
Im sure there will be no probs :smt023
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by IrishEyes
...also should the new pup be a pup (ie 8weeks) or is an older one ok (ie 3months plus?)

thanx u all sooo mcuh
if it was me i would wait until me dog was a little old but if you wanted to get 1 now then i see no problem with getting a young pup (8 weeks) as long as they are kept apart when your not around, then the pup should be able to play as much as your older pup. (as long as you make sure that the pup gets to sleep)
IrishEyes
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2004, 11:57 PM
hey hey, thanx for the advice, how long should i keep em seperated for? as in months wise, cos Winston is a house dog, and sleeps in the kitchen on his quilt! should i let them sleep together? im just worried winston may play too rough, as he is like a bull in a china shop when he gets excited and wants to play...he's run into many a thing (like a tree or a bench) when he's in the park with another dog lol
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2004, 12:00 AM
ahhh thats when you know when you got a staffie when they run in to something really hard and turn around and do it again not even a slight dazed look
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >