View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 09:52 PM

When did you finally "make it" in the show ring?

I don't mean necessarily when you went BIS at a Champ show, or won a Group ....... but what made you feel that you were accepted by the regular exhibitors, or won your first class at any type of show, or took a trophy home? In other words, a step up the ladder, however modest?
Mine crept up on me over a period of time and it hit home last weekend. I was at a major Open, and came 2nd in the Group. The steward called the two of us over to the judge and the photographers from the dog papers rushed in to take our pic and called out to me to look their way - by name!!!!! I then realised that over the last couple of years more and more people have chatted to me including some "big names" who have been lovely - that's acceptance, and boy does it feel good!
The bubble will burst when the pic from Sunday comes out on the internet and instead of a smart middle aged lady with a beautiful Dalmatian, there will be a seriously overweight old hag with wild hair bursting out of an ill-fitting trouser suit - with a beautiful Dalmatian
No wonder people recognise me!
I don't mind now if I don't do another thing for the next year - after 10 years of obscurity, I'm having a ball!
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

14-12-2006, 10:05 PM
I suppose it was probably my first show, I had been going to obedience classes for about a year and there were a number of people there who showed their dogs, and when my lad's breeder told me he was worth showing I entered at a local Limited Show, To say I was dumbfounded is an un derstatement, my lad won all his four classes, and my friends from the ob. classes were there all cheering me and my dog., He was finally beaten for Best In Show by a bitch belonging to someone who later became a great doggy friend of mine.

We went on and had a ball all through his show career and inevitably he became the first of several 'show dogs ', and with all of them there has been some 'special' moment.Kath
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't think I've made it in the breed and it wouldn't happen for many years yet. I'm not too bothererd though. I show for a hobby and as long as me and my dogs enjoy it, so be it. I've met some fantastic friends in the breed and other breeds so that to me is what is so special and their support and tips have been invaluable.
The nicest thing was when bobs went RBIS at Sedgley last year. There were over 700 dogs there and my little man was only 13 months old but he showed his socks off for me. I was gobsmacked as my breed doesn't usually do particuarly well in groups, let alone Best in Show. I was absolutely in shock for a few days and so proud of him.