Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I dunno what you're feeding but the ones I've fed have recommended about half that amount for a 60lb dog!

How much you should feed depends entirely on your dog. Don't go by what the feeding guide says, go by whether your dog is the right condition (I'd say weight but again, what weight is right is dependent on the dog) on the amount being fed. My 80lb mutt eats roughly 700g of food a day just to maintain a healthy weight and gets leftovers and treats on top of that. My 50lbish border collie mix ate around 150g a day and that had to be cut down for any extras he got.
It was Harringtons I believe that recommended it - and the vet. But we feed Louie one handful in a morning and one in the late afternoon of CJS puppy champ, Sadie gets a tin of dog meat - butchers everyday at 5 (not my dog - not what I would've done) Benjie is on one tin of Pedigree or biscuits a day - but because of the pup he is no longer free fed so it made it easier to time it to what I was used to - 5pm (Known Sadie longer than Benjie)

Louie has just had a tin of Sardines for his breakfast and wll have biscuits at 5pm - but only cos he refuses his middle meal - always has done. But he has pasta every other week, mainly on days he looks a little thin - then I complain that he may look a bit on the heavy side, but other than pasta and any meat we have that gets leftover - he is on biscuits only...I dont like feeding him the rubbish Sadie and Benjie are on.

Benjie is on one tin a day because he used to get free fed and would either go through 3 tins a day or just not eat it at all - resulting in him being overweight. So when the pup came along he was on one tin at a certain time and if he refused to eat it - Sadie would either have beaten me to it or I threw it away (better one tin than 3) he will shortly when we move them onto Arkwrights - be on just biscuits with a bit of raw meat every now and again until Louie is fully grown and I've worked out percentages etc as Louie will be also getting some raw also - but both not every day.
They will still be getting Pasta and veg - although Benjie wont eat it but as my mum says "You eat whats in front of you and if you dont like it - then starve" Of course I know he likes Pasta - he's eaten it before several times - but I am not having picky eaters and he can eat whats given to him

Sadie - well as she isnt my dog she will be on whatever unless she stays with me then she'll have the above. She needs fattening up (her owner says that I exercise her too well so she never puts on weight ) so she's been getting pasta weekly

But as I said I dont feed whats recommended - if they're still hungry after they're dinner - they get a rawhide chew or a bone
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2010, 09:26 AM
If thats the case i think whoever from Harringtons and the vet need to check out their own recommended feeding guidelines for an adult dog of 60lbs then as they don't quote 600g for a 60lb adult dog on their labelling.
I like to keep my dogs fairly lean with perhaps a bit more weight during the winter but as others have said it depends on your own dog and what suits but i still believe 600g is extremely excessive for a 60lb adult dog on a maintenance diet....Cheers..Ian.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-12-2010, 09:35 AM
I used to feed my Dobermanns on Royal Canin and the bag should be clearly labelled but you can check it out on their website anyway. Is it Maxi dog junior 32 ? if so the feeding guide is here

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/pdf/maxi_junior.pdf
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by mumof2boxers View Post
i did ask the breeder and was told to keep them a little hungry,

i have read a few things on google but cant find any specific
food recommended or amount.

my eldest 1 yr old is hungry all the time,shes not a greedy dog,not like the other lol,

scary to open the fridge door,she gets her head in
I'm not sure I agree with keeping them hungry - as I see it, you're setting yourself up for food stealing/bin raiding/rubbish eating on walks etc.

Why would you want to keep a dog hungry?

What weights are your girls (roughly)?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 03:38 PM
I dont know about boxers but my 2 BCs have about 200-250g each,per day, split between 2 meals. They are about 20kg each atm so a good weight.

I feed them autarky
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I also spoil my 7 month old lab x ESS like this (with pasta and veg - he also gets sardines from time to time) But he gets two bowls (about 200g each) of CJS puppy champ a day and numberous treats - we are training still though.

Is Chappie really that good for loose stools? sorry O/T
I just give him a plain digestive and that usually sorts it out :
)
It's done wonders for Monty's bowel movements - he's still really loose when out on a walk but i think this is more out of habit than anything else - he won't just go in one hit he likes to spread it out over 5 or 6!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2