View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moira Walker
New Member!
Female 

14-04-2009, 08:21 AM

How to stop dog eating everything in garden.

I have a Tamaskan who eats anything and everything. As we cannot watch him 24hrs a day and he needs out into the garden, we are worried that he will consume something that will harm, if not, kill him. Any advice?

Moira Walker
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 08:36 AM
What exactly is he eating? Can you not fence off a part of the garden for him which has no hazards?
Becky
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Research what is in your garden and ensure that nothing is poisonous.
As Mahooli says fencing off part of your garden might be a good idea.

Welcome to Dogsey by the way
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 08:48 AM
You will just have to watch him I am afraid. Just don't leave him out there unsupervised -- 90% of pups will cause trouble in the garden if left to their own devices. Or, as another member said, fence off an area if you really have to leave him alone.

What breed is a Tamaskan? I thought I had heard of most breeds of dog, but evidentially not!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
You will just have to watch him I am afraid. Just don't leave him out there unsupervised -- 90% of pups will cause trouble in the garden if left to their own devices. Or, as another member said, fence off an area if you really have to leave him alone.

What breed is a Tamaskan? I thought I had heard of most breeds of dog, but evidentially not!
its another name for an NI/UTE/BI
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 08:54 AM
its another name for an NI/UTE/BI
Why does one breed (which are actually crossbreeds, right?) need four different names?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Have to say, I too needed to be able to leave my dogs out rather than in during the day (i just think it's nicer for them) .. I have been through my garden with a fine tooth comb and a book of horticulture and culled out anything that may be harmful to dogs... Then I paved over the lawn - no grass here. I raised the fence to 6ft and had a 2 ft concrete gravel board at the bottom of all the fence panels to discourage chewing on the bottom of the fence.

The only thing you can do really is think for them and consider what they are chewing/eating and remove it... The first two times I left them out there, I went through the motions of leaving, even drove to the bottom of the road, then walked back, snuck back in and watched them from the bedroom window to see what they did

Do you leave him with lots of toys and chewey things? It sounds obvious but maybe if you provided things to chew on, it may distract him? I always leave a filled kong, a couple of bones, a treat ball, boxes filled with newspaper and kibbles and scatter food... Not always all at the same time but a rotation selected from the above... I don't know if you do this already, but may be worth a try if you don't
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 09:33 AM
I know what your going through. I don't have a garden now just plant stubble When we first got Ben last year, he nibbled everything, likes the roses the best, and then the jasmine poor thing has been chewed from the base up, but it has survived. Just make sure there is nothing that can harm him.
As others have said, a dog safe area is the best solution. We only have a small patio, to we have fenced off a small part for my plants.
Elaine xxx
Welcome to Dogsey
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi all, since we started with the nice weather my 6 month old Chi loves to be out on the garden, problem is he eats weeds, grass twigs he's so quick we can't catch him before he's eaten what he wants to. My partner and myself went around the garden taking as many weeds as we could out but there are weeds in the grass which can't be taken out unless we re-grassed the whole garden, should we just let him get on with it as it's hard to keep him busy with toys all day.
chloe130682
New Member!
Female 

21-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Moira Walker View Post
I have a Tamaskan who eats anything and everything. As we cannot watch him 24hrs a day and he needs out into the garden, we are worried that he will consume something that will harm, if not, kill him. Any advice?

Moira Walker
Hey, i am the proud owner of a five year old doberman that used to eat anything i planted, it was cracking me up, i then had a suggestion from a friend of a plant and dog friendly deterant, a concentrated mixture of eucalyptus oil and horseradish mixed together in a spray bottle and sprayed on plants every dau untill they get the idea, i can honestly say it has worked a treat, bring on the summer strawberrys