View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 04:06 PM
They have their drawbacks as others have mentioned. I use one because my dog cannot be let off lead anywhere other than in the middle of nowhere. I use it sensibly and appropriately and we both enjoy the little bit of extra freedom it gives him when we're not in the middle of nowhere or are on our way there .
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 04:06 PM
No problem with them if used correctly but hate to see them on full stretch on pavements. Also had an adult Beardie wrap one round my legs twice in 10 minutes 2 days after I had a plastercast off my leg scary!!!
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I recently did a thread on the perils of these leads so perhaps if you look back you will find peoples' replies.
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2010, 04:25 PM
I like them but I also think it depends on the dog - whether they are prone to just bolting and getting themselves in a tizz. I personally they are must better when used with a harness.

What I HATE is walking down the street and seeing people with their dog on a flexi free-roaming... if the dog sees a cat for example on the other side of the road, what control has the owner got if the dog decided to chase? Also annoys me when people think its a good tool for dogs that pull "oh, he likes the freedom" Yes but he is still pulling you, just 10 meters in front?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm big a fan and I think they are wonderful. I don't really need to use one, but intend to use one after my Bo has been spayed next month. Keeping her on a short lead for 10-14 days (or whatever the 'quiet' period is) would drive her literally insane, so I know the Flexi will be a great compromise to give her some freedom.

Like all tools, it is down to how you use it. Used correctly they are brilliant, used incorrectly they can be downright dangerous. I'm sure most of us on here have witnessed people using them incorrectly; shame you reason with stupidity!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I hate flexi leads when they are inappropriately used - I hate to see dogs walked on pavements near roads where the flexi is unlocked and at any kind of extension.

I love flexi leads because it allows my dog aggressive dog, a little bit of freedom.

I think like anything its down to the responsibility of the owner.

I do however think the flexis would all be better being the tape type not the cord, we have a giant breed tape one, as even though I just have a staffie I want a lead that stands up to pulling and if he decides to have a chew of it then it wont instantly give up !!

hth
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Like others I do like them and when used responsibly, they can be very useful. I used to use one with Isla when walking up and down some rural roads. It also came in very handy when Pickles lost his sight as he could no longer be relied on going off lead in the village, so instead I popped him on a flexi so he didn't get lost.

I do think it's very important to make sure the dog has a basic level of training though. Isla always knew when she was on her flexi and would slow her pace down when she knew she was coming to the end of it's length. In comparison my parents bought one for Rossi, their 11 month 25kg Springer. Now as lovely as this dog is, he has few manners and will strain like mad to get to people when he sees them. End result? Within the first day he'd snapped it charging about trying to run over to someone! They should have a warning label 'WARNING, NOT TO BE USED WITH IDIOTS!'
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Well I find them an absolute godsend for our rescue jack russell who can never ever be let off the lead.

When near a road, we keep it short and locked and only release the full length when in the woods or down by the river etc. It does take a degree of concentration.....but no more than when one's dog is racing around off lead.

We use a harness too, and the combination suits both him and us.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 08:04 PM
I use them alot for OB training, If you can get a tuggy on the flexi they are a great motivator, & have such a unquiie & light touch
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 08:09 PM
When my hubby and I take all 5 dogs out we go down to the beach and put our lurcher Danny on a flexi-lead. He's allowed off when no other dogs are there and only with me walking behind and my hubby in front!! He has very poor recall especially if there are other dogs on the beach. It allows him to mooch with the other dogs and gives him a bit of freedom. I love them. I do only use them with a harness though.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >