View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twofour
New Member!

05-03-2005, 01:57 AM

Hip scores ... advice please!!

Hi, can I just ask for some advice on the matter of hip scores?? I've done a lot of searching on the web ... maybe in the wrong places, I'm not sure! ... and have learned quite a bit about hip scoring. i.e. The procedure, the numbers (0-106), the cost, the reason it needs to be done etc. However the one thing I can't seem to find an answer for is this...

What is the absolute MAXIMUM score a breeder should consider breeding from?

I've been told that whatever the score it needs to be as even as possible ... and of course a dog with a higher score must always be put to a dog with a lower score.

My gut says I wouldn't bred from a dog/bitch with a score higher than 30 - which would HAVE to be exemplary in every other way and put to a dog/bitch with a score of 10 or less. Is that overkill??

Any and all opinions will be much appreciated
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Isnt it different for every breed for Dobermanns it shouldnt be higher than 10 so I think 30 is really high, maybe Im wrong Im sure someone who knows more will be along shortly to help.
Mary
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2005, 08:18 AM
I understood it to be different for every breed too - the lower the figure the better and nil/nil is perfect.

We were advised not to touch any dog with a score over 8!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Hello 2/4 welcome the others are right, and if I may I will add a little more info The scores are calculated on the breeds mean score and the KC and BVA recommend only breeding well below the mean score for each breed, here is a link to a table... go to this page, halfway down click on the blue writing 'breed mean scores ' which is a link to a PDF file giving a list of scores for each breed

http://www.bva.co.uk/public/chs/hip_scheme.asp

The BVA and Kennel club sites between them will tell you most of what you need to know
twofour
New Member!

05-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys I have actually seen the list of breed mean scores. Utonagan (who this is in relation to) don't yet have a mean score as only a few dogs have been scored so far ... we're working on that though. The average score across the 3 founder breeds of the Ute - Alaskan Malamute, GSD and Siberian husky - comes to 13.

One breeder I know of said the equal values are more important than the numbers. Other reports suggest that as long as the dog/bitches progeny are sound, even if their own score is a little suspect, it's OK to breed them if put to a dog/bitch with excellent hips. Writing that now it does sound a little convienient for the breeder, rather than actually a good idea, doesn't it?

As a case in point ... what would any of you do with a lovely bitch who's hips score at 10:27 ? Even tho' she can happily lie out flat with her legs stretched behind her, no apparent hindrance or discomfort. Also, her sibling and half siblings (who have been tested so far) have below 10 scores. Her mother and offspring (born before we decided on making it a rule to hip score) have yet to be tested.