View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Have you ever read ''The Field'' (Lynn Mctaggart), also 'A case for a creator' I forget the name.
I remain open-minded, but I have experienced somethings, that I can't explain. I don't think it is about convincing others, I think it is about experiencing it yourself.
The latter book is written by a journalist that didn't believe in God and went to speak to some academics, physicists and astronomers etc. Truly amazing stuff, like when you take a glance at the stars and for a fleeting moment understand that there is a bit more than the every day mundane, it's just most of us forget.
I'm I going a bit weird on you now...never mind wHHAy off topic.!
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 10:55 PM
sorry jess, i just found myself trying to explain your last post, in terms of evolutionary theory.. in a tongue-in-cheek way, obviously! god i'm glad i refrained.. i'm also sorry.. for that and being way off topic...
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I've just been reading these last couple of pages about Darwin and was glued to it (what a shame the library isnt open ) I think you should take that discussion to a new thread, I would enjoy reading it guys
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Are you a neodarwinist too Mal?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Evie: aha we are agreeing here !! I SO agree about mares milk. 20 years ago when I had my daughter, 21 years in March (oh bless, where did those years go !!) I tried to get hold of mares milk ... we lived up on the Wirral then, and I have to say, my request was met with ... well, shall we say, a stony silence ... ! I failed, not to put into too fine a nutshell, I could not get hold of mares milk for love or money. When I suggested it to my midwife, she went absolutely beserk saying why on earth should I want to give the milk from an alien species to my baby.

What on earth she thought a cow was, I dread to think !
I'm laughing at the the thought of that midwife! (She was probably thinking she'd have to find a horse to milk into a baby bottle.

My two kids were raised on "species appropriate feeding" when babes.

Originally Posted by jess View Post
Veering of topic (again) I am interested in research that supports certain breeds doing better on certain foods. For example northern breeds raised on raw meats, and collies and JR's being fed more carbs and less meat. It seems to make sense, and certainly my JR is calmer on less meat and higher % carbs. This won't fit into the 'wolf' theory in the slightest, however it does once again bring up the fact of mutations occuring within a generation, and how many generations have there been since 18,000 (domestication of the dog).
You mention your JRT being calmer on less meat and more carbs. Mine is the opposite. He is less hyper since ditching the kibble with it's carbs and going raw. I guess every individual is different! :smt001
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Are you a neodarwinist too Mal?
I think to an extent everyone has to be, because new discoveries cannot be ignored
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 09:47 AM
making a new thread!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
The point I was trying to make is that it is unnatural for any mammal, us, a canid, a herbivore, to drink the milk of another species.
I'm not sure 'unatural' is the right term here. If early humans hadn't domesticated other species, then changes to physiology, to adapt to their changing environment wouldn't have occurred. Drinking milk, and adapting the digestion to cope with it, is just part of the evolutionary process.

You talk about us being a smidge on the evolutionary scale, that may be so, but again, mutations happen with a generation. I feel just because we have been around a mere 200,000 years doesn't mean we should look back so far to eat like that. We are where we are, I for one am not going to live in the past.

Absolutely! The adaptation to milk .... lactase persistence, which allows us to digest milk into adulthood, is the product on one single gene muation and is said to have first occurred in the European population that first domesticated cattle, less than 10k years ago. It facilitated the post glacial spread of humans through Europe, just the same as other mutations, like fair skin and blue eyes did.

Veering of topic (again) I am interested in research that supports certain breeds doing better on certain foods. For example northern breeds raised on raw meats, and collies and JR's being fed more carbs and less meat. It seems to make sense, and certainly my JR is calmer on less meat and higher % carbs. This won't fit into the 'wolf' theory in the slightest, however it does once again bring up the fact of mutations occuring within a generation, and how many generations have there been since 18,000 (domestication of the dog).

Oh yes.... a very interesting topic. I've heard too many times, and experienced it in my own dogs, for it to be coincidence IMO.... that some dogs, if fed a diet too low in carbohydrate, loose condition, particularly in coat.

Since domestication, dogs have diverged into distinct types in widespread locations, with obviously, very varied diets. If they had the genetic capacity to cope with their diet they thrived and those that didn't simply didn't survive to pass on their genes.

It is said that breeds such as the early collies were fed almost exclusively on oats, as meat was such a valued commodity.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Pod, I love that you know what you are talking about - far more than me. It's good to have someone to look up to.

Wendy Vollhard's (have you heard of her) books are my life line, as they make so much sense to me, and I have them all (billinghurst/lonsdale etc)
She talks about the need for carbs, in relation to what you mentioned. Sadly pet foods are lacking in carbs, even though they read 'cereal' as mostly these 'cereals' are undigestable fillers.
Perhaps I could be permitted to go way out and suggest that the carbs given to collies aided their superior intelligence - or is that wishful thinking?!?!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Pod, I love that you know what you are talking about - far more than me. It's good to have someone to look up to.

Wendy Vollhard's (have you heard of her) books are my life line, as they make so much sense to me, and I have them all (billinghurst/lonsdale etc)
She talks about the need for carbs, in relation to what you mentioned. Sadly pet foods are lacking in carbs, even though they read 'cereal' as mostly these 'cereals' are undigestable fillers.
Perhaps I could be permitted to go way out and suggest that the carbs given to collies aided their superior intelligence - or is that wishful thinking?!?!
I have heard of WV but not read her... I will if I get the change. But I did read Juliette be bariclay Levi (sp?) many years ago.... similar thinking by the sound of it.

Don't know about the collies, you could have a point. There just so much we don't know
Page 13 of 19 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »