Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Advice please with dog related business question

I work as a dog walker. I have a few regular clients, they are all brilliant and it is enough for me.
I have occasionally taken on borders who are "easy" dogs and fit in well as part of my pack and of course my family. I have never had any problems at all.
I have been asked to take on a boarder on a long term basis (while they find a new house), they said they would pay me in advance...BUT I was just wondering what happens if they stop the payment and i am left with a dog?
I just have a feeling if i take this one on it may be a long time. As i have never had a long term boarder before was wondering what sort of contract/agreement i should set up IF i go ahed?

Thanks in advance for any help!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I had one long term one that I looked after cheaply. They payed me a month in advance and then weekly and then when they picked him up owed me for 10 days which I never got. Thats life and I wasn't devastated---just a bit annoyed and a bit poorer than I would have been.

I think if they pay you monthy in advance and care enough about the dog to find you then you should be OK.

You need written down what you do in emergencies and they should sign to say they will cover vets bills if the dog catches sometrhing or gets injured.

Also sign on what they want to happen to the dog if they have an accident or something.

rune
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Ok thanks for that Rune.
Yep I have my usual agreement with all the dog, owners and vet details.

I was kind of wondering where the law stands...if you get a dog left with you and then owners stop paying, does the dog become yours...do you keep it, rehome it..?what you do. Of course this prob wouldnt happen.....its just I dont know!