View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 03:48 PM

One year old male won't pee in the garden?

Hi all !

As some of you may have read I have recently taken on a rescue SBT male. He had some toilet issues to start, specially when excited. So I have gone back to basics with him as much as i can, but the problem is he won't pee in the garden (specially when it's raining)! He wants out to the green at the back or for a walk. This gets very tedious when I am taking him out every hour or so, and not much fun when the weather is like this (very cold, wet and windy ). If i don't take him out he holds it and of course does little dribbles etc all around the house.

Why is he doing this and can i change it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Lis x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 04:45 PM
perhaps previously he wasnty allowed to wee in the garden??

Bruno wont go out in the rain for a pee - however if I put him on a lead and take him into garden he will then pee as he thinks he is going to go somewhere .

might be worth a try -
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 04:49 PM
do you take him up the garden ?
misty wont go out for a wee when its raining either so i just stand out side + tell him to go wee + i wait + he does cause he knows he aint coming back in til he has
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 05:08 PM
I agree with lizdll, you have to mean business with him. stand out in the rain for 20mins if thats what it takes. he will soon get the message that he has to do his business before you go back inside.

My mum has this exact same problem with her cavalier king charles, she only does her stuff on her walks. my mum even stands in the garden with an umbrella over - get this - over the dog so she will go to wee.

Good luck, i know this toilet training business can be hard work at times.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks for replies guys

Brundog - i did wonder about that, you know yourself how it is with rescues, it's a guessing game about their past. Will give the lead a try, but when walking he usually waits for bout 5 mins before peeing .

Lizdll - think your right, when i think about it i do give in quite easily, veryh hard when his ears are lying flat and he's looking at me with big puppy dog eyes whilst shivering (great actor ). But will be FIRM ! !

Teenytiny - your mum a bit of a soft touch then?
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=Doggydina;803479]Thanks for replies guys

Lizdll - think your right, when i think about it i do give in quite easily, veryh hard when his ears are lying flat and he's looking at me with big puppy dog eyes whilst shivering (great actor ). But will be FIRM ! !

i know what you mean the but but please eyes but you can be firm i know you can you will get there in the end
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

26-10-2006, 06:54 PM
And don't forget, any time he does a pee in the garden LOTS AND LOTS of praise and possibly to start with a treat. I've only had one rescue and he hadn't been trained at all, he'd go anywhere in the house to start with, but he learnt to go in the garden and also that he had to go before he could go in the car.You do need a command word for it - pee, piddles, or whatever. Good luck. Kath
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 09:31 PM
If your other dog is a male it could be that he dare not mark in what he regards as someone elses territory.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
If your other dog is a male it could be that he dare not mark in what he regards as someone elses territory.
Did wonder bout summit along the territory lines myself, but my other dof is a bitch. I had her 1st though, could that possibly mean the same thing?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 10:38 PM
just thought I would say aswell Bruno NEVER pees or poos on the pavement so on our walks he has to wait 10 mins to get to park before he will pee - I have never trained him to do this - he has always done it - so u never know what he has been used to in the past.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >