Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 03:39 PM

Pigs Head...

.... My butcher told me today he can order me one in!! So hopefully the start of next week my two will be tucking in. I'm really interested in seeing how they get on with one of these. With luck they'll be happy to share, but I would imagine Willow will have a good go at it before allowing Archie to pick at it.

Will let you all know how it goes.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Wow you are brave
I STILL have a salmon head in the freezer, Ben is such a girly pants that he just leaves big things
cant wait to see fotos!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Brilliant, Evie. Mine had pork ribs at the weekend, and they went down a storm. Roxy was actually sick later that day - not sure it was down to the rib, though.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2008, 04:37 PM
If there anything like my lot then they will both love it.

Are you getting one with the brain still intact, or is it a clean one?

If it's got the brain then I strongly suggest that you make them eat it out in the garden, or your floors will be in a right mess.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Lol Colin,
It's reading about your lot eating heads that made me want to try this in the first place. I asked if brains and all would be in it, he answered... but couldn't hear with workmen in doing the place up. I'm guessing probably not... but would be delighted if it did though. Either way, it's def going outside for eating. I'm not brave enough to have the damned thing staring at me whilst they eat it.

Vicki,
It's ages since my two have had a nice slab of pork ribs. I'll have to get some in coming weeks for them, once we've recovered from the head, lol.

Ben,
Crazy or brave, i'm not sure which. I mean, how many people get excited when their butcher offers to get them a pigs head.... not too many I'm sure.

Will try and get photos, but it will be with a camera phone, so won't be brilliant.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Our local butchers sell a few per week whole but never tried it for mine, thought it would be too messy with bits all over and I wouldn't be bothered with cutting it up. They get fresh ears and snouts instead. They sell all sorts there though, ox tongues and trotters and things you don't 'usually' get.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
The influx of foreigners has meant things you wouldn't have seen at the butchers a few years back are more common now; great for more choice at the butchers for what to feed. (I still haven't managed to get round to buying a freezer to store things so that I can call round to abattoirs.)
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
The influx of foreigners has meant things you wouldn't have seen at the butchers a few years back are more common now; great for more choice at the butchers for what to feed. (I still haven't managed to get round to buying a freezer to store things so that I can call round to abattoirs.)
You don't buy the freezers.

Just go onto Freecycle and ask for one, you will be amazed how many are given away for nothing.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
You don't buy the freezers.

Just go onto Freecycle and ask for one, you will be amazed how many are given away for nothing.
Yes... I've been asking on my local freecycle for over a year now. A few times bigger frezers have come up, but too big for where I need to keep it. I'll keep trying though!!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Yes... I've been asking on my local freecycle for over a year now. A few times bigger frezers have come up, but too big for where I need to keep it. I'll keep trying though!!
Shame I don't live nearer, as all I can get are small freezers and I need another large one.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >