View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2015, 08:04 AM
No cooked bones or leftovers. They can cause tummy upset and might be the reason he is pooping so much. Have not heard of the puppy food you're feeding, but if it has tons of fillers like corn, soy, wheat, and even high amounts of grain such as rice, barley, etc it can also cause lots of waste. 3 poops each night is certainly NOT normal.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2015, 08:09 AM
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...103814047.html

This is the brand, right? No offense, but this food is almost like feeding garbage to your dog. It's lacking in nutrition and it goes out as fast as it goes in. It may also be the reason the dog is hyperactive. I'd suggest switching to a higher quality food ASAP, for it may be doing more harm than you think. I'm American so I don't know what kinds of foods you guys have there, but avoid foods with all those fillers like soy. Real meat or meat meal needs to be the first ingredient and NO food coloring, either.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2015, 08:51 AM
I would never recommend tethering a dog for any length of time as apart from injury you also run the risk of the dog becoming aggressive. I've seen this happen a couple of times, first with a Shar-Pei who's now owned by our trainer, who'd been kept chained in a yard by her previous owner. The collar she wore had lacerated her neck causing a great deal of pain and as a result she became people aggressive and would have no doubt been PTS had she not been rescued. The other case was my neighbours GSD who kept him chained in the yard by the time the dog was 18 months old he'd try to attack anyone who came near him and after biting his owner was PTS.

From what you've told us my guess would be that your Lab is suffering from separation anxiety at night when he's left alone. To help calm him down I'd suggest he wears a thunder shirt ... it helped one of my dogs who for completely different reason suffered from anxiety attacks. Although I've never used one I've heard good reports of Adaptil collars and diffusers. Just a thought!

I know you say your dog gets plenty of exercise and you're also training him, but you have to take into consideration that being a Lab he needs mental as well as physical exercise. They're a breed that mature later than most and when young their behaviour can be OTT but as they were bred as gun/working dogs you can channel his exuberance by introducing into his training activities Labs excel at doing. I was brought up with Labs, my grandfather's was trained as a gun dog, and even though the rest were kept as pets, we always made sure they had plenty of opportunity to swim and retrieve. I don't know what formal training facilities you have where you live but maybe you could get involved with tracking, agility or something similar which would provide him with the mental stimulation and discipline he needs!

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2015, 12:04 PM
..Off topic posts removed, please discuss the topic not the poster.
Thank you
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Hi Shehri-- it's best not to give a dog cooked bones, as they can splinter when he chews them and cause injury. Raw bones are fine, and many dogs love a few raw chicken wings as a treat. Raw crunchy vegetables like carrots are really good too-- avoid corn though; dogs can't digest it and you won't like the poops the next morning!

It's possible he's just chewing plants because he's bored. Does he have lots of chew toys? If you can find one that's more fun than plants, that might help. My little dog has this treat pyramid thing-- it has a little hole in it, you fill it with treats, or in her case the regular dry dog food that's sitting in her bowl anyway, and the dog has to roll it around to get the treats out little by little. Habibi loves this thing. She'll play with it for ages.
shehri
New Member!
Male 

13-01-2015, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
No cooked bones or leftovers. They can cause tummy upset and might be the reason he is pooping so much. Have not heard of the puppy food you're feeding, but if it has tons of fillers like corn, soy, wheat, and even high amounts of grain such as rice, barley, etc it can also cause lots of waste. 3 poops each night is certainly NOT normal.
Thats the only dog food available in my area. I could change his diet to chicken claws boiled, but i thought dog food would be better.

Other then that thankyou everyone for the suggestion, I decided I wont tie him in the night, will try getting more chew toys asap.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2015, 11:05 AM
We spend a couple of months abroad, and we can't get our usual wet dog food there. My eldest needs a wet food supplement to keep his weight up, so I make him something I call 'glorp'. It's made of chicken legs, which I boil and then pull the meat off the bones (they go in the bin), then I use the water to cook up a mix of brown rice, barley, chopped carrots, peas, and parsley, maybe a chopped potato or two, all just thrown in a pot together and cooked until the rice is done. If there's not enough chicken juice I'll stick in more water. At the end I shred up the chicken meat and add that back in. Sometimes I'll add something else, like sardines or pilchards, just to vary it. Bonus that pilchards and sardines are super cheap, and highly nutritious for dogs. It's best to get them in water or olive oil rather than brine, as the brine is quite salty. If you have to use oil, though, you'll want to pour off most of it as too much will lead to yucky poops. It's a bit of a production, but it freezes really well, so I'll make a week's worth and freeze it in 1 day portions, and just take one out the night before.

If this is not really doable, can you maybe find an online pet shop that will deliver to your area? They will have a better selection and they're often less expensive than shops.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3