Female 

11-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Oops,good Thinking Jackie
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
This dog could not be on a long chain/tether because it would still be able to cause damage/destruction in the yard. So I would think that a short tether is very likely to cause injury.
IMHO for what it is worth, this is a very dangerous and cruel practice.
She said the yard was very big, so even a moderately long tether (perhaps 15 or 20 feet?) would "restrict" the destruction which is what she mentioned. If put on an in-ground stake that you have to dig in, I think it's fine. The stake is beaten all the way into the ground in open space, no way for the dog to get wound around the stake or anything truly dangerous.

I've seen dogs live out their entire lives tethered, and I mean MANY dogs. Most dogs here are kept like that and you see them for years on end, they are fine physically, the tether causes no harm. Well, it doesn't injure the dogs, since I know a comment about them being tethered causing harm will be made if I leave it there.

Meg's scenario didn't work well for me because frankly, if you put a doghouse near the fence where the dog can get on the house and over the fence, a tether is hardly relevant, you're an irresponsible and stupid dog owner all the way around. Many things can go wrong when you don't think before you act.

The cruelty of it is irrelevant here, for I agree with that. She's saying to tether him at night to he can't destroy the entire yard. I don't think that is cruel, especially if he settles with it just fine. I think this is fine so long as you don't tether him to something stupid like a tree or a fence or something that he can drag along like a tire.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-01-2015, 11:04 PM
It's not a good idea to tie a dog all night alone. Too many variables can go wrong unintentionally. The dog can easily chew through a leash or injure their teeth if they are chained and decide to chew on the metal.

Also, by us not knowing what your yard looks like makes it quite difficult to give suggestions. Is there anyway you can post a picture of your yard? Does your house have a small room, like a laundry room or enclosed porch he could stay in at night?

If not, by not knowing what your yard looks like, a smaller enclosed space will be the best bet in the interim to minimize damage.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2015, 02:22 AM
It is never a good idea to leave a dog tethered on a lead, whatever the age, whatever the circumstance. Never. I don't care who says what. The opportunities are too great for people (usually awful children) to torment the dog; for the dog to be literally hounded by other animals as they are exposed and can't get away; and the chances of self-injury are great.

If you must contain a dog outdoors unsupervised, a fenced yard with a good protected space or a good-sized kennel that will both contain and protect your dog is the only way to go. It's more expensive than a chain on a stick, but if you need to keep your dog safe outdoors, chain on a stick won't do it. You'll need to build something more secure. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2015, 03:12 AM
Right, and dogs cannot escape or attempt to escape these and get hurt or run away. Despite what some people think, most dogs I see here are content tethered and never hurt themselves. I mean do what you want, but I've not seen a dog come to serious harm all their lives on them, so surely only at night I think would be fine. Dogs can and have badly injured themselves trying to escape from crates and fences so I mean whatever. I've seen dogs chew through those cheap red tethers and this dog is a chewer so some basic common sense should be used, but if that is the answer, so be it.

The dog is not allowed in the house, so that needn't be suggested. It's like that here, too and there really are not many options. A crate might work, but again can cause injury if he panics and tries to escape and with all methods, needs to be tested out first to gauge the dogs reaction.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2015, 04:17 AM
I can't understand how you can say that a tied out dog is happy. Lets not stray and keep to the OP's situation, not someone else's.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2015, 04:47 AM
Oh, boy. Whatever, I'm not going to argue about it. My main point was that the dogs don't tend to try to escape so I think it's mostly safe. Also, when not tethered all day or to something short and left with toys and water, tethered dogs seem plenty happy playing and jumping about. But yeah, that is straying. I kinda don't care if people agree, the op will do what they see fit and what works. It's not ideal, it carries risks like any form of restraint.
shehri
New Member!
Male 

12-01-2015, 06:39 AM
Alright for those suggesting get him a kennel, he has a separate room for himself. We used to have a store room out side our house so we converted it into his room. As for the suggestion to do about his biting i will try those out today with my sister. As for leashing him goes i tried it yesterday, i gave him food at 8 o clock and tied him at 11 o clock, i checked the place where he poops and there was one poop, although he poops like 2-3 times in the night. Anyways i decided to tie him up. At around 1 o clock he started barking and i went to check up on him, he had pooped in his room. thinking it would be disgusting to let him stay tied up any more i opened him and cleaned his poop. When i woke up in the morning he had destroyed my moms money plant. xP and the problem is although im against punishing dogs, the people who work at my place are not. When im not around and my gardener or butler sees him destroying things, they punish him, which i know causes negative reinforcement. Anyways i used to have a white german shepard, he never caused such problems and he was a pup as well, he never ate planets. I get that Labradors eat anything but still, i need to fix it fast, because if i dont my dad will give him away and neither i nor my sister can see that. :/
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Pooping 2-3 times each night is hardly normal, even for a pup that age. What are you feeding him. Dogs don't like to poop where they lay, so trying taking him for a potty break before bed. Also, you can try creating him instead of trying him. He may feel more comfortable.
shehri
New Member!
Male 

12-01-2015, 07:57 AM
I feed him smartheart puppy dog food. With some bone left over from our food. Give him two times a day, in the morning and night.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >