Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2015, 12:45 PM

What is going through his little brain?

My boy is not nor ever has been a retriever of any sort (why should I go get it? You threw it?)

He likes a tuggy toy or my sleeve

His granny insists on buying him toys with squeakers in.

Teddys with squeakers he will rag about occasionally and pay vague attention to now and then

but plastic squeaky things mostly will turn him a bit weird

From what I gather he and his granny have a routine he gives it to her she squeaks it and gives it back to him he squeaks it and gives it back to her and so it continues..

He brought latest squeaky ball home yesterday and all night he either squeaked and dropped it on me and stood staring intently or he put it on the floor and laid down and simply stared at it. He wouldnt go out of the room without taking it with him and when we went to bed he kept gettng out of his bed and bringing it in and squeaking it and putting it on our bed (until at some point during the night he 'lost it' (i found it in the bathroom this morning) when he got up he jumped on our bed and was very intent on finding said ball and continued to search till i went and got it for him.

He will mainly squeak it a few times spit it out then stare at it. He doesnt appear to take any joy from 'playing' with it, its not a happy experience from his body language (he usual zonks out after his walk but last night he spent the whole evening staring at this daft ball!) and both boyf and I think he appears quite stressed about it?

think we are going to ban granny from the purchase of squeaky items but wondered if anyone could tell me what is going on in his likkle pea brain?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Do you think he might want to play Grannies game with you?Sounds like he enjoys doing that with her Maybe he's just waiting on you to take turns squeaking it and giving it back Its hard to tell with dogs sometimes
Mine has a monkey,he's 10 years old now and looks about 50 Lacey mother's him,to within an inch of his life,sometimes Not really bothered much with other toys,just him,the love of her life
Here they are;
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2015, 02:19 PM
So sweet Eileen, bless 'em both!

I would try Grannie's game too, and see if he brightens up.
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Not sure if male dogs can be affected by this, but we used to have a Terrier who would develop symptoms of "phantom pregnancy" from squeaky toys. I guess it was the sound that made her think it was a pup in distress or something, even if it was HER that was squeaking it! She would get very upset, start nesting and running around restlessly.

Either way, if the dog is showing (very mild) signs of distress, it's probably a good idea to ban it and avoid escalating the behaviour?

Some dogs are just very sound sensitive.
And it would let you sleep through the night again
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2015, 03:51 PM
WW thats exactly how it seems (recalling his gfriends hormonal times). he genuinely seems distressed by it, it is not a happy face at all and he sometimes will whine.

Thats it then blanket ban on squeakers!

I guess to granny it just seems like a game but his whole demeanour changes as play wise hes a grab your sleeve, nip your bum/leg then leg it round the room, rag a duvet till its dead dead dead kinda guy or we get the 'duvet monster' out (grab his feet/snoz from under said duvet and he goes hyper throwing himself on top of it and writhing around chomping the monster with great joy)

noise wise if a baby cries on tv he goes super alert and he doesnt like coronation street theme tune he stares at teh tv doing that head tilt intent listen face
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2015, 04:05 PM
I had to banish squeaky toys when I had a little Tibetan Spaniel because she was terrified of the noise they made and would run and hide. The Peigirl I have now, gets anxious when she hears scraping noises and she'll rush around trying to find where the noise is coming from. I never did discover why my Tibbie was so scared of squeaky toys but with my Pei its all related to the eye problems she had when she was younger.
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2015, 04:06 PM
I think it's the right call, there's so many doggy toys out there that will make him happy!

I have great fun trying to come up with inventive ways of keeping my puppy entertained. She loves plastic bottles for some reason and at the moment she can't destroy them yet, so I put treats in them that make rattling noises and block the end with a bit of cheese or sausage

Gives me 10 minutes of peace and (relative) quiet whilst she kicks it about trying to get the treats out! LOL

She too loves the tug game, although I have to be careful as she also loves attacking feet and slippers, which has ended up with me almost stepping on her a few times!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Lol! Ball is dispatched and he is happily ( after usual 5min sorting his bed out til it's just right) curled up on top of his 3 memory foam mats with the cushion type bed scrunched up on top . It's a fine art yah know getting it just right!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
Lol! Ball is dispatched and he is happily ( after usual 5min sorting his bed out til it's just right) curled up on top of his 3 memory foam mats with the cushion type bed scrunched up on top . It's a fine art yah know getting it just right!
Should really try to make him comfortable you know
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Awww that picture is precious! Sophie loves squeakies. She uses them as a voice almost. She'll run around happily bumping humans, cats and Callie with the toy and SQUEAKSQUEAK. With her it seems to be " Look what I've got and you don't SQUEAKSQUEAK!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >