View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2010, 07:54 PM

Not lunging at people on walks. Crossing roads.

Hi all,
Walking on a lead is coming along well; we've had some lovely leash-walks recently.
Next up: Stopping him lunging at peopke as they go by. He love s a fuss and attention and I can get him to sit as they approach but as they actually pass he lunges at them! How do stop this? Is it just a case of practising 'watch me' command and keeping his attention on me instead of them?

Also, at curbs I always make him sit and wait, then cross the road on command. He doesn't always want to sit - I sometimes have to place my hand on his rump (not push down, just rest it gently there to remind him) - but he does it for me. My question is: will he eventually recognise curbs and stop and sit by himself, or is there more to it than that?
Thanks
Suzy and Loki
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
Also, at curbs I always make him sit and wait, then cross the road on command. He doesn't always want to sit
Toby hates to sit outside! especially if its raining or the floor is wet! He's even tried sitting on my feet before to keep his bum dry!

I don't ask him to sit anymore, just to "wait" which means stop until I say "ok". He is pretty good at standing by the curb but once I say "ok" he often runs across pulling me behind him. I usually stand still when he pulls but obviously can't do that in the middle of the road!
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2010, 07:57 AM
I've had some problems with lunging at people walking by too. I've found this has worked pretty well: have a high value treat in your pocket and when you are about 10 feet away from the person, keep walking but get your dog's attention by putting the treat right in front of his nose (I talk to my boy too to keep him distracted). Let him nibble at it but not completely get it until you're well past and then give him the treat and praise him. I've found that the lunging became a habit and if you can break the habit, they seem to eventually forget they ever did it so you will need to do this for quite a while until the habit's broken. Also, it's probably good not to allow people to fuss him until you give the ok (fine in theory but I haven't managed to master this one yet myself as everyone wants to cuddle my big bear!).
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:05 AM
sounds very similar to where we are at with Bella. Her loose lead walking is coming on well, but she does still love to pull towards people for a good sniff!!
I have been doing as Fluffypup suggested. Has to be a very high value treat for Bella though, as not much is more enticing than playing with people! Hopefully eventually she will learn to not pull towards them without a piece sausage under her nose LOL
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2010, 09:07 AM
and yes we are alsomaking her sit at the curb...she does it well now,but not without being told still...but actually I dont mind that.
And yes, itis tricky when she pulls in the middle of the road as stopping and waiting till she stops pulling isn't ideal LOL
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Today for the first time ever Loki not only stopped at the kerb and sat without me telling him! but also sat quietly while a person passed by (with a treat solidly placed before his nose!)
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
Today for the first time ever Loki not only stopped at the kerb and sat without me telling him! but also sat quietly while a person passed by (with a treat solidly placed before his nose!)
Yay, well done Loki. Clever boy!