View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Takara hates being cuddled on a walk - it just isn't cool She'd rather be off running so usually her reward for coming back, is to be allowed to go and play again, if I try to cuddle her she gets all grumpy with me as if to say 'not here mom!'
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Better treats! And train when the dog`s hungry.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Funny how dogs are so different coz when I'm doing my recall IF Georgie has spotted another dog he wants to go and say hello to, and I know I've won, coz he's turned to trot back towards me, his little tail is going like the clappers, his ears are back, and he just can't wait to come and sit in front of me for me to praise him and cuddle him and tell him what a really good boy he was. I'm sure he knows he's been a good boy too, maybe that's why he goes to run off in the first place coz he knows he'll get a cuddle IF he comes back immediately! I've never, ever carried treats in any of my pockets only poo bags, but he can certainly hone in on those that do on our morning walk, and he manages to get most of them when he sits in front of people, dribbling his lips, raising his paw in desperation! He would never take a treat off me though when we're out, how strange is that?!

I hope some of these suggestions have worked for you with the not so little Ivan now?
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks so much for all the good advice guys. I started clicker training with Ivan on
Friday evening. Thought I'd give it a try and see how we got on. I used some chiken which is his fav and just went back to all the basics which he knows and does first time, sit, stay, down. We did this out in the garden and he loved it Then I walked inside the house and called "Ivan come" in a really high pitched voice and he came straight away. Usually you can't get him in from the garden. So I'll keep up with this and see how we go. H you said that Georgie would beg for a treat from a stanger but would take one from you well at Shows Ivan will take nothing from me and take anything a stranger has to give him! Go figure
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3