Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2010, 10:33 PM

Its a good job he's friendly!

I went to see my cousin play football today and took Milo along as i stayed at my aunties with him the night before.
Other then nearly taking my arm off whenever the football went past him he was really well behaved

Then along came a small boy who didnt ask if he could stroke Milo but came over and didnt even go to stroke him but instead picked up his front legs and made Milo dance with him Then he kept screaming in his face, kicking the ball past him when he knew he wanted to play with it, grabbing him, trying to take his lead off me , trying to sit on him and i finally lost my temper and had a go at him when he tried to pick his back legs up and wheelbarrow him

I'm not good with children i have to admit i don't like them at all, other than my family i prefer them as far away from me as possible. When they annoy me i dont say anything otherwise i will say something i really shouldnt. So my aunty kept telling him to leave Milo alone he was tired to which he kept ignoring us (his parents at the other side of the field) and i finally lost it when he tried to pick Milos back legs up and told him to leave us alone and i moved away.

A lot of other parents commented on how well behaved Milo was through it all and everyone said 'its a good job hes friendly' what would have happened if Milo had bitten him? Be my fault obviously for not expecting some untrained child to come and pick my dog up

I just can't believe his parents (who could see what was going on) did nothing to stop him harrassing my dog and i'm sure if Milo had bitten him they would have been straight over... or if i had said what was really on my mind they wouldnt have been too happy either

However on a better note there was a beautiful EBT there who came and played with Milo for a bit.... what a gorgeous dog he was! On my wishlist for sure!

Sorry rant over!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 10:56 PM
We get that with Benjie - however he is not too good with children, well done though to putting up with it that far - I would've lost my rag way before then.

And well done to Milo
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 11:10 PM
oh, well done Milo! i wouldve told the kid off much earlier... i hate other peoples kids (only if they arent well behaved, if they are good kids then i am great with them )... i can just about deal with my sisters kids, so i have next to no tolerance for other peoples bad kids. Jake is great with kids, but he doesnt like them to be too smothering (which i think he is entitled to) so i wouldve shouted to the kids parents to get him away.

its amazing how idiotic some people are... i bet if he was bitten, they would be up in arms and blaming you!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-11-2010, 11:16 PM
i dont understand, you list 8 different incidents this child performed on your dog whilst you were there??

i think?.

why didnt you completely stop him, however means possible (incl walking away, shouting for the parents, etc) after the first incident?

i dont geddit?
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i dont understand, you list 8 different incidents this child performed on your dog whilst you were there??

i think?.

why didnt you completely stop him, however means possible (incl walking away, shouting for the parents, etc) after the first incident?

i dont geddit?
I was thinking exactly the same as i read through. I must admit i would of stopped at the first incident no matter how well behaved my dog was i just would't of allowed my dog to be treated like this as it could of been asking for an incident to happen.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

i think?.

i dont geddit?
The child would only have followed her, by the sounds of it, he'd wandered off from his parents. Good training for Milo though - in the other hand.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I would of had too of stopped the child before it even came near Ollie. No way would I of been able to take the risk and even if he had been like Milo I must admit I would not of been so patient and would of stopped the child as it isn't fair on the dog and if it had of bitten the dog would of been to blame in others eyes even though it was provoked.

Sounds like Jadey was a bit frightened to say anything but you shouldn't be you have to speak for your dog and if that means upsetting people and children then so be it if it means saving your dog from biting when it is being pulled around which is a natural reaction for some dogs.

Next time that child and its parents might not be so lucky.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
The child would only have followed her, by the sounds of it, he'd wandered off from his parents. Good training for Milo though - in the other hand.
one can still block the child.
if you did so obvioulsy enoug it would alert the parents to act, or you could just tell the parents politely but firmly.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 11:39 AM
I am with Krusewalker on this. Would never have got to a 'what would have happened if the dog had bitten him' scenario. I would have stopped it immediately. No! Leave the dog alone!
Even if you know your dog well enough to be sure they'd never get aggressive - why let the poor dog be tormented like that?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I have to agree with the other posts, I would have stopped things ASAP, even if this meant approaching the parents to have firm words or moving as far away as possible, or even leaving the park entirely. You may believe that you're not responsible if Milo had bitten but it would be your word against the child's parents and it's just not worth risking having Milo seized or PTS. You cannot control the child but you can remove yourself from the situation. It's not fair but your responsibility is to Milo, not to "training" this child, and if the child didn't stop ASAP then you need to look at alternative ways to help Milo.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >