Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
daveabster
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2010, 10:47 PM

No docking certificate?

Some of you will know me. I joinedrecently as a newbie with a patterdale. Anyway I went to the vets on monday for ollie's second jabs and opted to have him chipped whilst there. Before thee vet did it she asked for a docking certificate. We looked blank and did not even realise his tail had been docked. Anyway we never had one. I contacted the breeder but surprise surprise no response. The question is two fold
1. Do I report this guy for docking unlawfully
2. am I open for issues by not having legal docking certificate

For info he is not a working dog but has come from a working family

Thanks for looking
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 10:50 PM
If he has come from working parents and most of the puppies were destined for work, then the breeder will have the cert.
daveabster
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-11-2010, 08:09 AM
As I said in the post the breeder is not forthcoming with a certificate which makes me suspect its been done illegally

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If he has come from working parents and most of the puppies were destined for work, then the breeder will have the cert.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Really sorry cant offer any help, we have a docking cert for our springer, but the vet never even mentioned his docked tail or asked about a cert!

I thought that they had to be microchipped when they were docked too.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 09:16 AM
You can conract DEFRA if you are concerned.
Microchipping should have been done, which is probably why your vet asked or the cert.

Mum had a similar issue with Etta, although the fines are rather large for illegal dockng, what concerned Mum was the breeder saying the docking was done under the advismrnt o the vet. (the vets had no knowledge the breeder was saying this) Our vets had a similar issue with someone after legally docking a litter.

Mum did not get Etta from the breeder, she was 2nd hand from a lady who could not cope but as she possibly wanted to compete wth her, she wanted more info.

It will not be good for your relationship with the breeder, so depends how you feel about that. would personally like to see illegal docking clamprd down on....i the parents were working, there is no reason (other than expense) or it not to have been done legally.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by daveabster View Post
Some of you will know me. I joinedrecently as a newbie with a patterdale. Anyway I went to the vets on monday for ollie's second jabs and opted to have him chipped whilst there. Before thee vet did it she asked for a docking certificate. We looked blank and did not even realise his tail had been docked. Anyway we never had one. I contacted the breeder but surprise surprise no response. The question is two fold
1. Do I report this guy for docking unlawfully
2. am I open for issues by not having legal docking certificate

For info he is not a working dog but has come from a working family

Thanks for looking
Sorry, you mean you never noticed your pup had a docked tail dont know what to say on that one!

What your story does prove though is the mockery of the docking laws

It has not stopped illegal docking, and it has not stopped peopel buying illegally docked dogs.

Anyone with dogs that falls loosely under the "working " category, can and still do dock their pups.

When was the last time anyone was prosecuted for docking,

The law has become the white elephant it was always going to be.

You need people to be bothered to 1) report and 2) follow it up, and as it stands now, no one does !!

There is a loop hole, that the "working" dogs can fall through, but yet you still see docked Boxers/Rottis / Dobes that should not be docked.

When you ask the owner about the docking they play the same card ..." I did not know about the law
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Am I right in thinking traditionally docked dogs can still be docked in Ireland (Not sure whether it's Eire or Northern Ireland or both).
I've heard of bitches in whelp being sent over to Ireland to give birth, pups are docked and then brought back over here and voila! They are legal.

I'm glad your vet asked for a docking cert, shows somebody is on the ball at least.

I met a man with a boxer yesterday who told me "he's only young, just wants to play" and I immediately looked at it's tail to find it was docked. To be legal the boxer must be at least 3.5 years old and it didnt look that to me.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Am I right in thinking traditionally docked dogs can still be docked in Ireland (Not sure whether it's Eire or Northern Ireland or both).
I've heard of bitches in whelp being sent over to Ireland to give birth, pups are docked and then brought back over here and voila! They are legal.

I'm glad your vet asked for a docking cert, shows somebody is on the ball at least.

I met a man with a boxer yesterday who told me "he's only young, just wants to play" and I immediately looked at it's tail to find it was docked. To be legal the boxer must be at least 3.5 years old and it didnt look that to me.
OR, be an import from Ireland or elsewhere, or its a bobtail.

Or as you say its illegally docked, it will be one of the 3.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by daveabster View Post
As I said in the post the breeder is not forthcoming with a certificate which makes me suspect its been done illegally
What amazes me is that you say you were not aware his tail had even been docked!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Legally docked pups here in England & Wales have to be chipped by the veterinary practice that did the docking & it is at this stage that the certificates are signed & issued. I tattoo for a working Weim breeder & his puppies go back to the veterinary practice in accordance with the law
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >