View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 06:29 PM

can dogs sprain there legs? please help!

hiya my pup was playing about 25mins ago with my boyf just the normal mucking around jumping for toys and in his basket rolling around like normal pup does!

he then got up and hobbled over to his crate - where he goes for quiet etc.

boyf was worried so i called him over and he cant put much pressure on his front right paw, i felt it gently but he didnt pull away or show signs of distress when i touched it just sat there as normal.

so we got him to walk a few steps to see which paw it was to make sure we see right, and he was limpng and its def his right front paw, do you think he has just sprained it? his gone to sleep now and i asked him to lay down to take the pressure off of it and he did, bless him!

the weird thing is about 3 months ago in the car he hurt that paw no idea how he just cried and couldnt sit on it, 1min later he was fine!?? which was very odd??

can i give him anything? do anything??

were going to keep a eye on him & phone the vets tom.
Thanks

A worried mummy and daddy!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Yes they can sprain a joint in the same way as we do, he should be better, if not right, soon but if not, sorry a trip to the vets is in order.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-05-2008, 06:45 PM
I agree... try and keep him non-active all evening and hopfully tomorow he should be fine.
If not a little trip to the vets tomorow.
Hope he feels better soon.
Hades come back of walkies once after playing with some doggie friends and after an hour of being home he had a slight limp...I checked his legs and paws and he didnt show no signs of pain and the next day he was bouncing around and hyper as usual.
Think he mite of just slipped or landed on his leg abit funny when playing with his mates! lol
But I would keep an eye on it and see how he is tomorow...hope he is back to his stunning self very soon!
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Going through this with Dingo at the moment. All you can do is keep him quiet and not let him bounce around. Keep an eye out for any swelling on the joints as well, especially the paw itself. We were told by our vet when we took Dingo that the paw swelling can be a good indication there is a fracture in the leg. When he needs to go out for the toilet take him out on the lead so you can control the speed he walks on it as well.

Dingo's leg didn't hurt him when we felt it but once the vet gave it a gentle pull he cried which meant it was a good indication it was joint that had been hurt.

Don't let him walk / run up and down the stairs for a few days either, if he needs to go up and down them then carry him.

Hope he's better soon and trust me, a sore leg doesn't keep them down for long. LOL

Big Hugs

Heidi
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
Going through this with Dingo at the moment. All you can do is keep him quiet and not let him bounce around. Keep an eye out for any swelling on the joints as well, especially the paw itself. We were told by our vet when we took Dingo that the paw swelling can be a good indication there is a fracture in the leg. When he needs to go out for the toilet take him out on the lead so you can control the speed he walks on it as well.

Dingo's leg didn't hurt him when we felt it but once the vet gave it a gentle pull he cried which meant it was a good indication it was joint that had been hurt.

Don't let him walk / run up and down the stairs for a few days either, if he needs to go up and down them then carry him.

Hope he's better soon and trust me, a sore leg doesn't keep them down for long. LOL

Big Hugs

Heidi
Expert advice. How handy that someone else on here has a dog with more or less exactly the same problem?

Good old Dogsey

Hope Archie is back to his normal self soon, hon

x0x
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm afraid with Mos spindley legs and the way she dahes through the woods it happens quite often to her.
She is a wimp, so she will only rest it anyway, which I suppose is good. It has usually improved in 24 - 48 hrs.
The first time it happened I rushed off to the vet, where I got the same advice as you are getting here, a bill and come back if it is no better
But of course all dogs are different and they can't tell you what they have done, so a trip to the old vet may be necessary if she doesn't improve.
Please let us know how she gets on and give her a big big cuddle from me
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 10:45 PM
thanks everyone!! about 45 mins later he woke up and was running about as normal!!

i carried him for a bit - luckly no stairs ground floor apartment!

now all he wants to do it play but im not taking part!! his running round like a loon while im trying to stop him!!

going to bed soon so he wont be able to move till morning anyway!

god i hate it when they are hurt

talk of the devil his just come running in to the comupter room with a squeaky toy!!!

thanks everyone *hUgs*
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Michael limps after he has run too much but the following day he is fine i just make sure he has plenty of bedding so he is well padded out.
ATD x
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Glad he is ok, puppies can knock themselves about, much like children I suppose. It is always a worry because you don't want any damage to the growth plates but you have to let them play and express themselves.

Reminds me a bitch I had once, she was playing in the garden and ran at speed back into the house, she could not stop so leaped onto a low backed settee but got that wrong too and hit the wall behind. She was very lame and due at a Championship show the following day. In the morning she was better but not right but I took her and the judges said, she looks unsound, I said not surprised she hit a wall at speed yesterday but she needs experience, judge agreed with my decision to bring her, well she would wouldn’t she.

This will shock those who show, this was only a Novice class so no qualification, she was the only exhibit in the class and the judge withheld the 1st from her and gave her a second. Mind you I got lots of sympathy from fellow exhibitors for some long while after. Now I know it was her right but a bit extreme under the circumstances.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 01:50 PM
The first day that I had Chance he jumped up onto he pillow that I had given him, fell down and sat there for a minute looking a little confused. I wasnt sure what had happened but when he got up he was limping and hardly using his front paw. He walked it off a bit and I rubbed it some and he seemed fine. He went back to the pillow layed down and took a nap and when he got up he stumbled again and again started limping. After that he was fine and nothing ever came from it. I geuss its like Pita said they can just sometimes knock them selves out. Glad hes ok.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >