Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-12-2017, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Helpful though
And inclined to be argumentative.

At 35kg or maybe more, I think my dog is quite a big fellow compared to most we meet. Now and again we bump into a St Bernard and a Great Dane on our strolls. They can get his attention for a while. He mostly ignores small dogs. To the point of being rude you might say. There's a local Rhodesian Ridgeback that loves to run around with Max. I guess it's about the same weight but of a fuller build so Max is a bit taller.

Anyway, I think the OP has has done a runner. Or has been overwhelmed by the five dogs.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2017, 09:23 PM
St Bernards and Great danes are classed as Giants.
Collies are medium breed but yours could be oversized as a Ridgeback should be about 27 inches at the shoulder.
Syd my Dobie was large although he never really seemed it to me, I grew up with Bull Mastiffs. All my dogs are sociable when approached but never do the approaching as they are a self contained group. They don't see size they react the same to all dogs. We bump into two Ridgebacks with their owner in the woods they are grossly overweight and massive.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
St Bernards and Great danes are classed as Giants.
Collies are medium breed but yours could be oversized as a Ridgeback should be about 27 inches at the shoulder.
Syd my Dobie was large although he never really seemed it to me, I grew up with Bull Mastiffs. All my dogs are sociable when approached but never do the approaching as they are a self contained group. They don't see size they react the same to all dogs. We bump into two Ridgebacks with their owner in the woods they are grossly overweight and massive.
There are different collies. I'm sure I have mentioned before that I grew up on a farm in Scotland with around 3,000 sheep. We had collies. Black and white, tan and white, big and not so big. Genetics I guess.

Where we walk there is an infants' school. I try to avoid opening and closing times. Not that he has a problem with the kids or they with him. Most of them know him by name anyway. But with his size and exuberance he could easily knock one over. He is very gentle with them, usually sits down, but a swipe as he makes a swirling turn to greet others...........not intentionally but....

Best avoided.
But, with the shorter daylight hours, that's starting to become more of a timing issue.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2