Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Puppy isn't weeing that much

My 13 week old toy poodle, Oscar, is not weeing very much. I used to take him out every hour and he would always wee. He'd go after crate time, after meals, after a sleep etc. Now, he seems to not want to go so much. Since 8 weeks, he's been able to hold on about 8 or 9 hours in his crate overnight! In the morning, he'll wee but now after meals and a sleep and a walk (etc), he won't go. He seems to be drinking plenty. Has he just got a strong bladder?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 03:03 PM
If you are worried I would get to a vet

Also check thet he hasnt got a seceret weeing place
I know I thought I had got Ben toilet trained then I found he had a place behind the sofa he was sneaking off to - I cleaned that bit up well and didnt let him out of my sight for a week and it was sorted

Might have a strong bladded but I would guess not - sounds like a long time (many puppies can hold it in the crate all night but that is a bit impressive
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 03:10 PM
I have a miniature poodle puppy and she doen't wee that much either . I have also seen people on other forums saying this about poodle puppies . How sloppy is his food , if he is fed dry food he may not be drinking a huge amount . If he seems happy , healthy , lively and is eating and drinking I wouldn't be too worried . In my experience an ill dog appears to be ill
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm pretty sure he isn't weeing somewhere else. I'll have a good look though. I check his crate bedding every morning and there's only been a wee in it once. It is rather incredible that he can hold it for so long! Obviously, during the day, he can't hold it for that long.

Oscar does have dry food and not a lot of wet. He's his usual happy self, so I guess I shouldn't be too worried.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 04:27 PM
My poodle puppy has only once wee'd in her crate at night once and I got her at 8 weeks . She normally sleeps about 8 hours at night . She is a miniature poodle
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
I would get him checked by the vets.
Pups can't usually hold it for that length of time, unless hes weeing and your not aware, it could be he has a bladder problem, rather than a strong bladder.

I am not trying to scare you, but please be aware dogs who don't seem to be passing alot, can be a sign of medical problems.

One of mine, not a pup wasn't going as often, then he started leaking urine. I took him to the vets and test etc, he has a bladder problem when he can't go properly without drugs to help the muscles in his bladder relax & open.
So watch him like a hawk, as they will want to know how much he is taking in- passing and the flow when he goes, just incase it is a trip to the vets.
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on things. I'm gonna call his breeder (who's wonderful) tomorrow. The vet will be my next port of call.

After I posted this, I found a couple of puddles in the kitchen. It would explain why I haven't seen much wee from him today!
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2008, 08:43 AM
At that age my puppy was sleeping right through overnight |(8 - 9 hours), but still weeing frequently during the day if that's any help.