Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 02:26 PM

Calorie Counting Dog Food

OK, so not literally, but as he's now been castrated obviously we have to start watching what we feed him.

We feed him 400g of Hill's Nature's Best Puppy chicken and rice a day normally so the vet said to take it down to 350g a day and feed treats etc on top as usual.

To be honest, all he ever gets a day is his kibble (sometimes frozen in a kong with gravy and a cube of cheese), a handful of training treats (PaH puppy bones with calcium), a hoof or rawhide to chew on and a denta stix in the evenings.

The only human food he gets is the gravy I freeze his kongs, the cheese I stuff them with and a carrot a day if I feel like it.

Is this too much for him now? How do I tell when looking at things what is the right amount of daily nutrition for him? It's bad enough controlling my own weight!! ;o)
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Ok - My rules...

Dog looks fat = reduce food
Dog looks thin = increase food!

I have entire and neutered dogs - I don't measure but go with how they look.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:22 PM
If he starts putting on weight just cut his food down a bit. Be guided by how he looks and feels. If you can feel his ribs but not see them and he has a slight waist then he is perfect!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:24 PM
The thing I don't get is that sometimes he looks quite scrawny, but other times, whilst you can always see his ribs (just the shadow of them if you know what I mean) he looks quite portly in the tummy.

But otherwise, OK, will work on the judge it basis. Just really want to keep his weight under control for him.

The vet said being 21kgs and only 7 months and clearly looking lean and muscular means he obviously burns it off well so shouldn't be too much of a problem, I just wondered what you all thought.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm sure you will be fine. He is still a baby I wouldn't expect im to fully fill out till about 18months. Siren (my BC) is coming up to 2 years and has just ahd her (hopefully) final filling out. I have just cut her food down as she doesn;t seem to be needing as much now.

Trip - (my gundog X) looked like a cruelty case till she was about 2 - I just couldn't keep weight on her. I'm sure you will be fine - as long as he looks good you're doing something right!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Ahhh, I see. OK, roger that and thanks ;o)
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Ok - My rules...

I have entire and neutered dogs - I don't measure but go with how they look.
Me 2
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Same as the others, although I free feed mine so not sure what I would do if one of them started piling on the pounds lol!
Becky
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 03:34 AM
[QUOTE=Tassle;1653274]Ok - My rules...

QUOTE]

Yep, i'm with that choice
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Check out http://www.pet-food-choice.co.uk/ove...s_and_cats.htm which has one of those body condition charts to check out.
Also, a useful tip is, when you are thinking about how much food to feed a dog which is or is likely to be overweight, is to feed a low protein/fat food according to the weight the dog SHOULD be rather than what it actually is