View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:21 PM

Puppy keeps jumping up and biting ME now??

Hello guys, Roxy is now really good with my nephews and doesn't jump and bite them anymore. But it seems like shes channelling this form of playing onto me now ?!?!

First time she did this we were on a walk and i kept lagging behind, she kept stopping and waiting for me. Then she suddenly lunged at me almost like she was dragging me to catch up. I assumed it was because i had treats in my pocket and gently kept pushing her off me. She is basically jumping up and grabbing my sleeve/back of jumper and tugging it. But i dont carry treats in my pocket anymore and have shown her this.

She has never done this before and i dont know what her new obsession is!?! she doesn't do it to my OH?? when she does it to me he ends up telling her off and holding her in 'down' until she calms down. But he's not here for the next three nights i need to know what i should be doing to prevent her from doing this? and understand WHY she is doing it in the first place? I have pinned her down like my OH does but she just jumps back up and does it again. I hold the lead out so she cant reach me and she does eventaully give up and run else where for about 5 mintues and then comes back.

I really dont get what she is trying to do? I guess i should replace my jumper with a toy everytime she does it, but isn't that showing her if she jumps up she gets a toy/played with??? maybe she just doesn't like my coat? :smt102
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Oh so sorry!

Takara used to lunge at us when we sat down and go straight for our face

If you're in the house a very effective way of stopping Takara doing it was to take her out without saying a word and shut her in another room for 2 minutes. Let her back in, if she did it again, she went back out. She hated being ignored and soon realised that she wasn't supposed to do this.

Not sure about when you're out. I'd be tempted to grab her collar when she jumps up, tell her 'ahah!' and put her lead on for a few minutes, taking away any balls you were throwing for her and with holding any form of treats. Then let her off again and as soon as she does it again, put her back on her lead.

Also, when she runs towards you, bend down to meet her, Takara used to jump up at a friend until he started crouching down to meet her and if she doesn't jump up and just comes and has a fuss give her loads of praise.

That would be what I would do with Takara and I know that it works with her but not sure whether Roxy will have the same reaction.

Good luck.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Well Roxy already sort of knows that Jumping up gets her no-where. From day one we wouldn't let her jump up when we got home, she has to sit until we are ready to say hello to her. Which does work, she doesn't jump up at us around the house. I guess she feels she can get away with it outside ??
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:33 PM
yeah, Takara did this for a good while (especially if I had a ball )

I think it's the excitement and lack of concentration that they have!

I don't know really other than taking away her privalege of freedom by putting her lead on but then Takara still does this to me if I have her ball unless I manage to shout 'NO!! SIT!' before she reaches me!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Cassie started to do this about 6 months old, and I found that folding my arms, ignoring her and looking up at the sky did the trick! Check first that nobody's around, coz you do look a bit daft doing this! If she stopped doing it, I would walk on, and when she started again, I did the same thing, it seemed to get the message across for me, a lot more so than giving her a command. It may work for you I hope! Of course you can add the command at a later date if she tries it on again, that's what I did.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Saturn tried this with me the other day and also tried to jump at my son when he was next to us yesterday (onlead..dog not son!) Anyway, when he pulls to jump at my son I give a firm 'no' and pull him away then praise him immediately for walking nicely ( which actually he had no real choice about but hey!) As for me...he started jumping up and biting my sleeve. I stopped, stood still and ignored him totally...he soon stopped and sat down and we went on our merry way again...hasn't done it with me since....
Your OH and you pinning him down is actually turning it into a game for him...look at what they do when I do this sort of thing...any attention is good attention to a dog...good luck, Roxy is just being a cheeky young puppy...don't ya just love them for it ( I know I do...had to bite my lip to stop myself laughing at Saturn...the look on his face when I stood stock still...blesss!!!!!!)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2006, 01:49 PM
A stern no, and turn away, or the rattle bottle. Either should work but consistency is the key, and try to do it as she jumps at you, if you're quick enough she should miss. The fact she does it to you and not the OH is probably because he possibly reacts more quickly. We had a similar problem with Syd but with us he was jumping at the OH and not me. He does everything I do, but seems to not be as quick off the mark, or maybe i have better peipheral vision.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
Roxy is just being a cheeky young puppy...don't ya just love them for it ( I know I do...had to bite my lip to stop myself laughing at Saturn...the look on his face when I stood stock still...blesss!!!!!!)
Yeah i have to admit i find it amusing when Roxy does it, it honestly does look like she is trying to help me catch up. But i think you right next time she does it i will just stop and let her hang off me until she gets bored of it. I will tell the OH to stop preventing her from doing it for a bit. I'll see how it goes when its just me and her for the next 3 days.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by trouble21
A stern no, and turn away, or the rattle bottle. Either should work but consistency is the key, and try to do it as she jumps at you, if you're quick enough she should miss. The fact she does it to you and not the OH is probably because he possibly reacts more quickly. We had a similar problem with Syd but with us he was jumping at the OH and not me. He does everything I do, but seems to not be as quick off the mark, or maybe i have better peipheral vision.
OH has made me up a bottle now. He said he is using this for the cat thing and it is going well
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
thing to do is not to move at all...which is hard, given there's a pup hanging off your arm.......any movement sort of reinforces the behaviour...turns it into a tug of war.....if you stand still, don't move or speak or look...it works...in the end!!! Once you start moving again and she's not jumping, praise and reward...as soon as you start to walk...Good luck and wear something you aren't fussed about!!!!!! (which is pretty much all my wardrobe...hmmmmm...)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >