View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2006, 01:42 PM

Rescue centre procedure? (inadequate check on suitability of new owners)

Can anyone tell me what the exact procidure for rehoming a pup from a rescue centre is?

Do all rescue centres have the same procidures or do they differ? Are there any set guidelines that must be adhered to?

I am not after re-homing, I ask as one of my OHs friends has just gotten a puppy from a local rescue centre and the situation has angered me greatly and I have even given my OHs friend a right ear bashing, I feel that the rescue centre did not do enough to ensure the pup went to the right home and wanted some opinions on whether the rescue fullfilled any set guidelines or not.

Basically this lad and his girlfriend went to a rescue centre to get a puppy between them, however he lives with his parents and she lives with her brother, sister and dad, (the pup was to live with her) however her dad is very ill at the moment suffering with heart failure of some kind so is not really the ideal sitation to be getting a pup anyway.

These 2 do not have a clue about dogs and were told by the rescue centre that they had a certificate of the date of birth for the puppy they wished to home but couldn't say what breeds were in it but at a guess they would say mainly alsation and doberman. So they ended up getting this pup only for this lads girlfriend to tell me that she didn't really know what eather breed really were let alone temprement traits. I do not believe its vaccinations were done correctly, the girl said it had to have 3 lots of vaccination instead of 2 and openly admitted that she couldn't afford to get the second lot done on time and it would have to wait an exra week until she got paid.

Upon bumping into them they arranged to bring their pup round to see our dogs to start getting it socialized before it can go out. They mollicddled it and kept picking it up and carrying it around like a baby, then the lad procided to start throwing it in the air and catching it well I went spare I went absolutly mental. He then proceded to tell me that although it had only just had its last lot of injections and still couldn't go out they had taken it for a walk anyway, again he got a right earbashing I ranted for ages about the danger of picking up up diseases and how serious things like parvo are to which he said oh didn't know they were that serious, well she will be ok coz we didn't take her on grass!!!!

I want to know is it common for rescue centres to hand dogs out to morons like this??? I think it is unbelieveable and the situation has really annoyed me. Also thinking on the lines of Alsation/Doberman they thought they were getting a big dog I have now seen the pup and it looks more like a staffie cross possibly with Rottie eather way it is not going to grow into a large dog its paws are far to small and its knee joints are barley visible.

I have asked a few people who I know that have had resue dogs and they where really scrtinised, being given the 3rd degree and made to have multiple home check before the dog could go to them. But in this case that obviously did not happen. Are they rescue centre breaking any sort of regulations by doing this as I have a right mind to complain.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2006, 01:45 PM
ps. thanks for reading this i'm sorry it was so long winded.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2006, 02:20 PM
The rescue shelter i got mine from were very good in their questionaire i had to fill in and what they asked me personally.I was never scrutinised and didnt ever feel under pressure.

They wanted to know my history of dogs,where i lived,ammentities for excercising,security of my garden,what veterinary practice i use,how long im at work for,why i wanted a dog,am i prepared to train a dog,how long will i excercise him for per day etc etc.

I never had a home visit prior to collecting Vegas which is apparently what they normally do,but i do know they use my veterinary practice so is very possible they spoke to them about my dog history.They did however pop round a few days after he was home to see how we were getting on and were more than satisfied.

I cant fault Woodgreen animal shelter with how they treated me and Vegas.He was neutered,wormed,flea treatment and just needed his booster jab doing later on.
sez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2006, 08:24 AM
i used to work at one and trust me it would have been easier to adopt a child,they wouldnt let dogs go where there were children under 5,there was always follow up when a dog was rehomed,on the other hand,dogs homes that are there for strays,seem to let anyone take a dog,unneutered
sez and the gang xxxx
ElaiRs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2006, 03:09 PM
I have only ever had adult rescue dogs from the centres locally and really got the third degree and also a home check but when my sister got a puppy (staffie x lab) from the SSPCA centre near here there was no home check and she wasnt even questioned about her suitability or living arrangments. I was shocked to say the least and gave the centre manager a peace of my mind (my sister wasnt happy with me for that) I also called the SSPCA head office and complained.
My sister could have been anyone but they didnt care. It really got my back up I can tell you.
A good breeder will ask as many questions as they can think of to get an idea of who you are and the situation a puppy will be going to before they decide whether you can have a pup or not. Rescue centres should be just as tough on prospective owners as a good breeder would be.
Elaine
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2006, 03:46 PM
we had a home check and a chat, asked about previous dogs, gardens, hours at work etc but we never had a follow up!

its sounds like they are just trying to get rid of some dogs......open up some space but i would defo complain!!!!

alex
xx
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2006, 03:49 PM
OMG that's terrible, I can almost see where this poor dog wil be in 9 months time - back at the rescue centre with behavioural problems!

I've only had experience with the Dogs Trust and like someone else said it'd be easier to adopt a child than get a dog from there. They're at the opposite end of the scale and it's a miracle they rehome any animals at all! Having said that perhaps that is a good thing, when thngs like this happen.

With the dogs trust they do a home check and you have to fill in a big questionnaire. The dogs can't be homed with any kids under 7 (I think?) and must not be left at home for more than 4 hours a day. They also like to see the vacc records of any dogs you already have and you must attend a dog ownership seminar before being able to adopt a dog.

Obviously some smaller centres may not do it like this, but I'd like to think prospective owners got a home check at the very least!

Good luck and keep us updated.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

26-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't think it is just the rescue centres, unfortunately. Some of the breed rescues are pretty lax too. I was surprised when I got a rescue that no one came round to see me, perhaps because I told them that I had done home-assessing for a rescue myself, but then anyone could have said that, and I was amazed to be given a copy of the dog's pedigree!!! Something that the rescue I had assessed for would never have done. So often, I think, the problem is that they get so overwhelmed by the number of animals in rescue that adequate assessment of the future owners is just sidestepped, so yet another animal lands up in the wrong home and has to be returned to the kennels. Kath.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I have tried to e-mail the rescue centre in question but their inbox is full, I will try again later and hopefully get a responce soon.
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2006, 02:23 PM
hope you managed to get them ,I cant believe that it was so easy to get a dog , we have had quite a few people get really angry when we have turned them down and just say oh well we will just buy one , I really think you have to try your hardest to give the dog its best second chance ,hope you get somewhere ,give them a real row they deserve it .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >