Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone - it's good to hear how other people deal with things.

I always envisioned getting Rocky a playmate because he loves dogs - but don't think it would be fair on him now (getting older and now he's got cancer too). But then I think it's not fair on him not having a playmate. I really don't know what's best - just want to do right by him.
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Oh and you always do right by him Azz xxxxxxx
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I got Maggie 3 months after loosing Mollie, I was so down when Mollie went, nothing seemed to help...I did not go looking for another Boxer, One of my vets phoned me saying she had a littler of Boxers, would I be interested....Have to say, it was the best thing I have ever done, Maggie could never replace Mollie, but she gave me something to focus on...Now I cannot imagine life without her...
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
I,ve been lucky enough to overlap, when Meg was showing signs that she wouldn't have much longer I got Skye.....Skye I am sure help Meg do another 6 months.
It was lovely to see Meg being a loving oldie towards Skye in her later period and it helped Reah with Megs passing xx
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2011, 09:34 PM
it was a week from when we lost our beautiful boy warren untill we got toby.
the first two days i was a total wreck i couldnt eat sleep or work, i cried solidly i think that was the initial shock.
Warren was getting on a bit but he was in good health. He started feeling unwell at 6pm and he was PTS by 6.30pm
still greaving i went from " im never having another dog" to not wanting to be at home because it felt so empty.
My hubbie and i started talking about going to rescue centres..... then feeling guilty about considering getting another dog.
we knew we couldnt or wouldnt replace warren, and thats one reason we decided to get a totally different breed.
We have young children and they were finding it very difficult to cope with too.
Getting Toby has eased our pain and filled that void, but i think about and miss warren every single day, as does every one in our house hold.
Everyone deals with this differently, and everyone knows at the time whats right for them x
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I was ready to get another dog within a week of losing Shadow. It took 6 months and several private adoptions that fell through at the last minute before I got Rupert though.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
How does everyone feel about getting a second just so the passing of the first is easier?

I'm scared to death about losing Woody and am seriously considering a second help prevent us suddenly becoming dog-less in a few years time (among other things of course).
The trouble with that one is it doesn't end there! I have 2 dogs and would love a 3rd because Cherry and Parker are 10 and 9 now so quite close in age obviously and it would be horrible to come home to a dog-less home. Realistically I know I can not have a 3rd due to time and finance restrictions and Cherry crabbypants who would make its life miserable probably! If Cherry went first though Parker would mope terribly as he missed her so much when she was away having her operations last year but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it which won't be for a long while hopefully.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 11:49 PM
I got Guinness 2 weeks after losing Holly. I did feel a bit guilty at first but then my OH said that just because Holly's died it doesn't stop other hounds needing homes. So I relented and went to see some hounds at Shropshire and Borders rescue and met Guinness. Needless to say it was love at first sight!!
I'm so glad my OH persuaded me to look so soon after Holly went.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2011, 12:42 AM
How soon did you get a dog after losing one?

As soon as possible taking account having to wait some months for a puppy.

I know I can never replace a dog I have lost, each one was unique and made a huge contribution to the quality of my life. For me a home without a dog is missing something particularly now I live alone, I can live without human companionship but feel lost without a dog.

I know this course of action may not be suitable for everyone, some need a breathing space. I think each person needs to do what feels right for them ..
MississippiRick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Wow!!! You opened up a can of worms on this one...hahaha...the experts say you should go out that very day and get another one. But they also say that the mistake most make is trying to find another one like the one you lost and assuming it IS going to be the one you lost. It is sad but true, many people do just that. And it is not giving the new dog a chance. For it can never be the dog that you lost, he will have all his own new things for you to love and for him to show you. Accept it for what it is, and brand new dog................

That being said, "may they live forever"
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 07:08 AM
I still haven't and it's been nearly 2 years

Thankfully though, 2 years before he died, I did get my puppy, as I felt it might bring my old boy alive.....it did to a certain degree. But thinking about it now, if I hadn't of got Diesel before my old boy died, I think I'd still be dogless now.

It still doesn't feel right to bring in another dog for me
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >