View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
The longest I have ever been dogless is about 2 weeks, that was when my Prt died a bit suddenly and unexpectedly. I was already on a waiting list for Syd but he was still too young to come home. I was like a little lost soul without a doggy shadow
cravencraven
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
My only dog was PTS on the 22.02.10,I was off work the following day and didn't know what to do with myself with no dog to walk,I ended up at Pets at home and on the message board was Craven looking for a new home.I went to see him straight away.
As I had just lost Stripe I asked for a few days to decide about Craven.
After a lot of debating with myself,weighing up the pro's & con's I called them 3 days later & said I would have him,but because of work commitments I couldn't take him until the 5th March,although I did have him to stay for the weekend before then.

One year on I have no regrets getting Craven so soon after losing Stripe,the timing might not have been right,but the dog was.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I should add perhaps Harvey grieved terribly for Rosie - we already had our name down for a rescue kitten before we lost Rosie. Getting the kitten helped Harvey, from day 1 he looked out for & took care of / played with Tim who even so young was a fiesty wee bundle of fluff

I dont think you ever get over the loss, as time moves on so do you. As you get older the harder it gets, least thats my thoughts
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 06:35 PM
For the last 20 years I have always had two dogs and looking back it appears that six months seems to be the time from losing and then getting another rescue. However, I think some people need to get another dog quite quickly and I don't have a problem with this but in fact encourage it in some instances.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I went 10 years dog free before I could think about having another one after losing my lovely little Ben many years ago.

I don't know what will happen when my Sam goes. Who can predict?
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

After losing my last dog it was five years before another one came home for various reasons, although was ready after maybe couple of years, was not possible. It didn't feel right, wasn't the same without a dog here but happened when time was right for us.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 06:40 PM
I have always had another dog here when one has passed away, but I left it months, to a few days, because I heard about a dog that needed help.

I don't think there is any right or wrong, you grieve the same, and no dog replaces the one that has passed away. Also, depends on the dog that is left behind, how they cope.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
When we lost Nippy we went for nearly 2 years before we had another dog. She had been hubby's dog and he could not face having/losing another.
We then had Sadie the Lurcher who sadly we had to return to the rescue centre. A month later the centre asked us to have Mo.
When Mo passed this house was so empty and quiet and we were grieving so much that we decided to give an elderly dog a chance after just one month. That was Pepsi. She has certainly brought the house back to life
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I haven't lost a dog yet but after my cat died I waited 2 and a half weeks to get Molly. I was planning on waiting a year but when I found Molly via a rescue website I couldn't resist at least visiting. Then once I'd visited I couldn't possibly not have her
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
I am currently going through this dilemma. I lost my lovely Moss in January and even though I wasn't intending on getting another dog for some time, if at all (as I still have my other three dogs), a pup has come up that might fit well into my pack, and my plans for the future. I am not completely convinced that I am ready yet, but we will see in the next couple of weeks.

When I lost my first dog I was sure I would never be able to go through the pain of losing another. I did go into a bit of a depression. I was bullied and cajoled into getting another dog by all my family and friends, as they could see that I just wasn't coping without a dog in my life. I resented it a bit at the time, but after a few weeks with the new pup she was giving me a reason to get up in the morning and gave me a reason to start getting on with my life again.

Dogs are such a huge part of my life that I don't think I could ever be without them. The pain of losing them is horrendous, but the love and joy they give us every day of their lives has to be worth it.

There is no right time or wrong time to get a new dog.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »