Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 02:22 PM

Arrrggghh...found a tick on Cassie

Eeeek, just found a tick on Cassie's neck. Have sent OH to the pet shop to get something to get rid of it. What's the easiest way to get rid of it. I'm frightened I'll leave the head in if I use a tweezers.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Only ever found one once, fingers crossed, many years ago and FIL put his lit cigerette end on it, suposidly this made it go eek and put it claw things in and fall of, then he stood on it, it worked anyway, said that's how he did it 'during the war !' but I think there are different/better ways nowadays, but I do know you have to make sure you get the head and claws out or it may get infected, good luck!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Panic over, god I'm crap in a crisis! Got some tick remover drops which she's had the first dose of and some preventative treatment for later.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:00 PM
I have a cheap plastic pair of tick removing tweezers. Found one on Liberty's head the other day but it came off easily with them. It's that time of year again!
Becky
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I have a cheap plastic pair of tick removing tweezers. Found one on Liberty's head the other day but it came off easily with them. It's that time of year again!
Becky
I hate the horrible things. First one we've found in 2 1/2 years
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:19 PM
It's sheep and deer country round here so my lot pick them up fairly frequently so I just keep on top of the frontline and use my tweezers!
Becky
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
It's sheep and deer country round here so my lot pick them up fairly frequently so I just keep on top of the frontline and use my tweezers!
Becky
Hopefully these tick removal drops will work.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Next time you could try tweezers that you have held in the flame of a lighter a bit - not very nice but it makes the tic let it's grip go and you can remove body and legs in one as it's important to remove the whole thing and sometimes the legs and head get left...lol

Kody has had quite a few tics latly and what's weird is they are always on his right eyebrow...lol I think the rest of him is to furry for them to burrow.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
Next time you could try tweezers that you have held in the flame of a lighter a bit - not very nice but it makes the tic let it's grip go and you can remove body and legs in one as it's important to remove the whole thing and sometimes the legs and head get left...lol

Kody has had quite a few tics latly and what's weird is they are always on his right eyebrow...lol I think the rest of him is to furry for them to burrow.
I just want rid of it now. These drops take a couple of days and I hate the thought of it being on her
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Ahh try the hot tweezers or get OH to try them works a treat, we don't use anything else. Really hot tweezers on it's fat body and pull slowly but surely and give Cassie a treat afterwards to take her mind off of what happened - they don't feel anything but best not to get a negative association for when she see's the tweezers in the future...lol

(p.s the body might pop but keep ahold of it...lol - bet you can't wait now huh!)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >