Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2005, 05:51 PM

Mime

Have someone sending me files with the MIM extension and I can't open them. Realise I probably could if I bought Winzip but I am not keen as I am sure they could send them by some other method but they don't seem to keen to try. Guess there may be a way round, I'm on XP and my ISP is aol that I thought dealt with MIME.

Many thanks
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-11-2005, 06:45 PM
You have to decompress that yourself AOL leave it to you

View Glossary Term "MIM file"

Term MIM file
Related Terms MIME, MME file, POP3, SMTP
Description A file containing a number of compressed email attachments. MIM is actually an abbreviation of MIME, or Multi-purpose Internet Mail Extensions. Sometimes the extension MME is used instead. Many email programs automatically decompress the MIM file, but some others (such as AOL's software) leave the decompression to the user.

How to open .mim files
http://www.piglette.com/howtoopenmimfiles.html
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks Leo, thing is I don't really want to pay for the Winzip software just because this one chap will only send me work in this format. Would they open if I go him to send it to my IE email or will it be the same as aol are my ISP
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-11-2005, 07:16 PM
It will problerly be the same

you can download a free winzip

http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm

good for 40 odd days
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-11-2005, 07:34 PM
I've never had a problem with Winzip being past it's 'sell-by' date - it seems to work regardless, even when it is saying Day 112 of your 28 day evaluation

Alternatively, set up a Yahoo account and forward the mail there - Yahoo Mail uses MIME (Multi-Purpose Internet Mail Extensions) encoding for messages sent with attachments.

- Apologies for interrupting, Leo
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Well have downloaded winzip and 'got at' the photo, it is an interesting one so now I had better go and work on it Many thanks