Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:34 AM

Is anyone else a Spelling Snob?

Mis-spelled words grate on me. It`s like nails down a blackboard.
I just had to walk away from the PC to resist the urge to correct a lady who had invited us to `take a peak at her new book`. On a mountain, presumably.
Mostly I can sigh and move on.. but I swear if one more person says they are weary of big dogs I`ll offer them a seat.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:44 AM
lol! I am (a bit!) but I've learned to restrain the urge to correct or mock (well, I only laugh about it if I cannot resist!)

I like casual writing and have no objection to words written 'like wot they are spoken' sometimes - it gives you an insight into the personality of the writer.

It is sometimes (or should be) obvious that it is a typo, not a spelling mistake (thinking here of the now famous 'minced dick')

My pet hate at the mo' is 'are' where it should read 'our'. I was horrified to be told by a teacher pal of mine that one is now so common that in schools they are mostly letting it slip by?
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I can't stand text speak or bad spelling I try my best to make sure everything I write has the caps in the right place or that am using the right your/you're

Its when people write 'wiv' for with or 'en' instead of then & same as above, are instead of our....Am sure the list is endless
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Like you would not believe
It drives me mad, I cannot believe that such bad spelling and grammar is not corrected in schools.
Do you ever read any of the selling pages on the "site of which we do not mention"?
That gives a wonderful insight into the type of people that are selling the goods
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
I can't stand text speak or bad spelling I try my best to make sure everything I write has the caps in the right place or that am using the right your/you're

Its when people write 'wiv' for with or 'en' instead of then & same as above, are instead of our....Am sure the list is endless
That would explain why our text messages are so long!! haha

I am but for the life of me can never spell rediculose

rediculouse

rediculous?

Arggghh
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2011, 09:53 AM
effect -affect
You're - your
there their They're
I am guilty of all the above ..

O and the would have could have should have ..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I have to hang my head in shame that I am bit pedantic (bit?) over spelling and grammar etc.

The apostrophe and its use and misuse is a particular bugbear of mine, and I have been known to erase them or put them in if the opportunity arises on blackboards, notices etc

However as my mathematical skills are in inverse ratio to my language skills I try to control myself...................

A lot is down to poor diction and, IMHO, children NEVER being corrected for poor spelling or usage and so people continue to use "pacific" instead of "specific" ; "less" instead of "fewer" and my bete noire "those ones".

THOSE or THESE do not need ONES after them!!!!!!

Takes swig of brandy and lies down on chez long
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
That would explain why our text messages are so long!! haha

I am but for the life of me can never spell rediculose

rediculouse

rediculous?

Arggghh
I think you could be right Sam!!

ridiculous
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Smokey Bear - Keith Waterhouse wrote an hilarious column on the 'Aberrant Apostrophe' a while back (a good while back). I remember sitting on a bus travelling through London when I read it and laughing out loud much to the amusement of my fellow passengers. I will try to find it for you.

I'd like to to see a new National Holiday announced - SAD Day. Shift-key Abolition Day! To do away with those posts and titles in some places that read something like this:

!!!///L@@K!!! W@W!!!!! >>>
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm a spelling and grammar snob, I admit it I proof read, then fix, then re-read again, and sometimes they slip, and I edit my post because of it... This was sent to me on "another site" I think the person knows me quite well? LOL

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »