Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2005, 09:05 AM

Could this be tummy ache?

I woke in the night to find one of our pups 'trying' to poo, checked his rear end to find some dried on poo so he couldn't go, washed his bottom and he went fine, but I don't know how long he had been straining to go. Now ever since, although asleep, he seems to be straining in his sleep........is this a sign of a tummy ache? if so what can I give him to help? he did lap some boiled water and he's fine in his self.

He's not constipated and hasn't got diarrhoea, He keeps getting out of his bed trying to poo, has been a couple of times, which is normal, but mostly nothing is passed.

Sorry to bring this up at breakfast time
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2005, 09:29 AM
When Ruby was a few weeks old the same thing happened to her. She was starting to walk strange and I realised she couldn't poo. I washed her like you did, and she went ok. I went to the vets and he told me to carry on with the washing for a couple of days and come back if there was no improvment. After a day of me stimulating her to go she was fine.

I'd ring the vet just to put your mind at rest though as it does sound like he does have tummy ache. Does he raise his legs up when he's straining?
Meg
Supervisor

14-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
I woke in the night to find one of our pups 'trying' to poo, checked his rear end to find some dried on poo so he couldn't go, washed his bottom and he went fine, but I don't know how long he had been straining to go. Now ever since, although asleep, he seems to be straining in his sleep........is this a sign of a tummy ache? if so what can I give him to help? he did lap some boiled water and he's fine in his self.Sorry to bring this up at breakfast time
CC is this the litter that was hand reared? It does sound like tummy ache, may bit of impacted faeces somewhere? Tummy problems are more common in hand reared puppies poor little thing. The fact that he is passing things ok is good,you could try a little oil in his milk (sunflower or olive are mild just a couple of drops) Could also be worms? If it continues I would see the vet.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2005, 05:38 PM
No, it's not the hand reared pups, it's one of Rosie's..........he seems ok this afternoon, had a few 'poos' on his own. Also I think I may have found the cause of the problem.......Rosie has started regurgitating her food, so the pups are eating that as well! Not surprising he has a tummy ache!

They were last wormed at 4 weeks, they will be 5 weeks on Sunday, so it shouldn't be that......I hope.

Anne: No, his legs weren't raising, he was lying on his tummy and every now and again his tail would lift as though he was straining........almost like a bitch giving birth........lol.

Hopefully what ever it was has cleared now, he's sound asleep, had a few drinks and something to eat, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for replying.
Annestaff
Supervisor

14-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Thats good news CC, when there so small it is so worrying when there not 100%.