View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerberos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Will pup's whining at night be prolonged?

Well, for any of you who have read my previous post, you'll know I got my pup at about six and a half weeks, when I was expecting him to seven and a half weeks. I realize that he'll need more time with me, this next week or so and a lot of work on bite inhibition (which he is still doing amazingly well with) and so forth; and that I will need to get him a good deal of time with a neighbor's dogs and pups, but my real question is to will my having him this early cause him to whine at night for more than two nights? I wouldn't mind, personally, but I do have neighbors to consider. Any suggestions or addition (if I have missed anything) would also be appreciated.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Any puppy, very young or not can whine a lot at night, for more than 2 nights..

My puppy didnt take too well to the crate at night, although I'm sure I could have put more work in to it.. she whined for 4 nights until we gave in and let her sleep on the floor next to the bed - and she was 12 weeks when I got her. Its where shes slept ever since

Good luck with your puppy!

Eta the crate was not even in another room it was right next to the bed but she cried like a banshee! I should have done more crate work during the day, my advice would be to make sure you make the crate SUPER positive! Work on it during the day - put her in it without shutting the door etc...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Where are you leaving the puppy at night?

Every puppy is different. Some puppies will settle downstairs on their own after a couple of nights -- others will NOT settle unless they are gradually soothed into being left alone at night. One of my dogs took several months before she was comfortable being left alone (I say alone, but my two other dogs were in the room!) at night without making a fuss.

I would have the pup crated with you in the bedroom at first and then gradually make the transition to moving him downstairs. Or, if the bedroom is not possible, do what I did with my last pups and sleep on the sofa for the first week or two with them crated next to you.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 07:08 AM
You are going to call me a wierdo now

My mum always told me to put a sock (which had been worn for the day) in Molly's bed when she was crying.............

I never believed it, until one night (after about 2 weeks without sleep), I finally tried it.......... IT WORKED

Give it a go. lol
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 08:32 AM
A very young puppy will need company. It`s a survival trait, not naughtiness. They grow out of it. But for the first couple of weeks I would have the pup in the bedroom with you. It also helps you to know when he needs to go out.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Agree with Clairedaisy.

You can gradually wean pup from bedroom thereafter if you want to