Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Curry Combs: Anyone else use them?

Just wondering if any other members ever use a rubber curry comb (for horses) on their short haired breeds? I've always used one for Luke..I picked one up for $2.99 at the feed store last year and it works GREAT. He's shedding pretty heavy right now and it really gets the loose hair off and out fast and easy. Plus he loves it.
On that note...he did the CUTEST thing the other day!
I had been looking for his brush...and couldnt' for the life of me find it. The next afternoon, I'm sitting upstairs in our bedroom and he calls me downstairs (yes he talks to me a lot and I usually know what he wants lol) Anyway...I go downstairs, and there he is, standing in the spot in the livingroom by the door where I usually brush him...with the curry comb in his mouth! I dont' know where he found it but it was just the sweetest thing.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Not yet!! I mean it's sounds a fab idea we have them for the horses but have not used them on the dogs yet. I'll give it a go some time.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:25 PM
aww bless him

i have always used them...and on the rugs too
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:30 PM
OMG that's a great idea! I have carpeting on my stairs and the vaccume doesn't pick up all the hair. Thank you! I'll try it!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:32 PM
The "Zoom groom" and similar are basically dog and cats rubber curry combs marketed for non horse people who don't know about the equine ones.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
The "Zoom groom" and similar are basically dog and cats rubber curry combs marketed for non horse people who don't know about the equine ones.
yes, but are waaaay more expensive !!
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:37 PM
No kidding lol. Why pay twenty bucks for something brand name when a cheapy horse comb will work..actually I find they work better than those mitt things with only the little nubs on them.

Just thinking here how insane it is that I'm all excited about going to try out the curry comb on me damn carpet. I think I need help
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
yes, but are waaaay more expensive !!
Very true, you are paying for the "brand"
I tend to use a slicker brush on the carpets.
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I used the dog version of a curry comb on my lurcher. It took out all her guard hairs and, instead of being roughcoated, she ended up all smooth. I think the rougher guard hairs do die and drop out normally, but I assume on a sort of continual basis, so you don't really notice it, as this has never happened before when grooming her. I prefer her au naturel. So, now, because it's soft rubber, the little dog gets to add it to his toy collection.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by TheABCs View Post
I used the dog version of a curry comb on my lurcher. It took out all her guard hairs and, instead of being roughcoated, she ended up all smooth. I think the rougher guard hairs do die and drop out normally, but I assume on a sort of continual basis, so you don't really notice it, as this has never happened before when grooming her. I prefer her au naturel. So, now, because it's soft rubber, the little dog gets to add it to his toy collection.
thats very odd

it sound like your dog has a coat that needs 'stripping' ie the dead hair taken off,and yes after stripping they do look very different...id be surprised the curry comb did that tho.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >