Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Release the hounds!

We've just had a guy in to renew something to do with our Internet.
I took the Dals into the kitchen and did a bit of training work with them whilst he was busy, and then my dad comes in and opens the door saying something about this man has a Dalmatian.
The Dals gave him an enthusiastic greeting (which is why they were in the kitchen as they can be a bit bouncy), and then I got them to sit and 'watch me' and he asked how I did it as his Dal was a maniac and didn't listen to anything he said.
Then as he was going out I called the Dals and Harry into a sit and a 'watch me' so he could leave in peace and he told me I was showing off
It does make me slightly sad that he has obviously done no training with his Dal and anyone who meets him will probably believe the 'you can't train Dals' myth.
Hopefully seeing my 2 may have shown him that they can sometimes behave, although my 2 aren't the best trained ones around, he might go home and do some training with his Dal (we can hope anyway!)
julie-kn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2012, 08:53 AM
It's a typical example of people getting the wrong breed for them. How many people have bought Border Collies, only to get rid of them a few months later, because they can't cope with them?
If only people would research their breeds before they get them, then perhaps people would have dogs they can cope with.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-06-2012, 10:10 AM
you really do not know enough about the guy to conclude that he has the wrong breed and will be handing in his dog to a rescue centre any day soon, the guy may be brilliant with his dog but just making the customer happy by implying how good her dogs were.
I do this quite a bit when i meet people who have well behaved dogs, i state how much better they are then mine when in effect they probably are not but it is nice to compliment people.
It is a huge jump to conclude the guy has never researched his breed.
julie-kn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I apologize if I have caused offense, and perhaps put my comments in the wrong place. I did not intend to imply that this person will end up dumping his animals.
I suppose I am really responding to several personal experiences which I have had lately, such as the 10 month old Border Collie puppy who needed a new home, the SBT X Japanese Akita that lives in a 1 bedroom flat with a young child and a pregnant owner, and all the unwanted dogs, most of them Staffies or Lurchers, that I recently encountered.
It reminds me of a comment I heard years ago made by a behaviorist, that animals need psychiatrists because humans are mad. And I am not implying that this person is mad, either.