Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 07:11 PM

titre testing - how much does it cost

T's vaccine is overdue and I know she should be having some but maybe not others so I want to get her titre tested.

Does anyone know how much this usually costs? I know it'll vary according to the vet but would like an idea so I know if I have to save up

Thanks
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Glasgow Price List
BioBest Site no price list on there
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 07:38 PM
It only measures circulating anti-bodies, NOT memory cells, these cant be measured but are the things that mount a response to disease. A low titre count does NOT mean your dog needs a booster, it may only mean it has not come into contact with a disease it has been vaccinated against, therefore there will be little circulating antibodies in the dogs system. Leptospirosis, the disease that Vets and manufacturers say definately DOES need a yearly booster, does not illicit titres and therefore cannot be tested, a waste of money!
Dawn.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 09:32 PM
oh thanks Dawn,

I'd heard great things about it...

So what vaccines should be done yearly or every 6 months - bearing in mind she goes to shows

I want to be careful about over vaccinating that's all.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 09:36 PM
My Dogs are titre tested after losing my last two to vaccinations.
If you ask your vet to use Idexx lab they can test for everything there including lepto. Glasgow does not test for Lepto.
It cost me all in about £57 for everything.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info madmare...

Truly stuck now lol...
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Why are you stuck? I have pm'd you.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Personally I do not vaccinate now apart from puppy vaccs. I did have my bitch titre tested at 16mths, with regard to what would be her first booster. She came back low parvo count, borderline distemper count. I thought that meant she needed a booster as her immunity to those diseases were poor. I rang the university for clarification of the results and a run down on what bthey meant, they told me what I told you in my first post.

A low count does not mean low or no immuntity, it may only mean the dog has not been in contact with vaccinated diseases recently, and that the memory cells which mount the immunity response have not been triggered.

They cannot measure memory cells.

Leptospirosis does not illicit titres and cant be measured.

They recommended a Lepto vaccine every year, all Vets and vaccine manufacturers still do.

Most vaccine manufacturers say at least every other year for Parvo, distemper, etc..

Parainfluenza (a type of kennel cough) should also be done yearly.

If you look at your card it will probably say something like.

DHLPPI one year, then Lppi the next, at least they should now. Best thing would be to talk to your vet and discuss what vaccine they use, you can always telephone the makers and ask for their reccommendations.

I understand how difficult it can be, best of luck whatever you decide.
dawn.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks Dawn,

I think I'm going to have to make a trip to my vet with Eddie - as he needs a vet check anyway - and ask about T's vaccines - let them explain it all to me and the manufacterers so I can contact them.

That way - if I don't take Takara I can't feel pressured into having her done there and then.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi Lottie if you look at your records for the dogs vaccs they will hopefully say what vaccine they last received and the make you can then look up the manufacturer and see what recomendations they make, for instance nobivac made by intervet state every 2yrs for all of them and just yearly for Lepto and PI.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >