register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which breed should I select for my new puppy?
Airedale Terrier 4 15.38%
Schnauzer 3 11.54%
Giant Schnauzer 9 34.62%
Boxer 10 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Shortlist of three breeds

I am hoping to be puppy hunting in the New Year as I would like to try showing and I think Oscar would like a furbaby friend. I have managed to shortlist to three breeds now but I can't make a decision from there. So I thought who better to enlist for some opinions than the good folks at Dogsey?

So my three breeds are: Airedale Terrier, Schnauzer (or possibly Giant Schnauzer) and Boxer. Any opinions on the good/bad of these are most welcome. I'll pop a poll in as well just to see what folk think...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm guessing you have researched these breeds already and concluded that they will fit into your lifestyle?

I clicked Schnauzer (Standard) as the one I know is a lovely dog. Nice size, doesn't shed, good temperament. He is the only Standard I have ever seen though, as I think generally the Mini's are more popular.

Just bear in mind that if you are interested in showing you may end up on a waiting list for a pup for a long time. Even finding a breeder with show quality/type pups may be difficult as, with the exception of the Boxer, the other breeds are less common.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Aligord View Post
I am hoping to be puppy hunting in the New Year as I would like to try showing and I think Oscar would like a furbaby friend. I have managed to shortlist to three breeds now but I can't make a decision from there. So I thought who better to enlist for some opinions than the good folks at Dogsey?

So my three breeds are: Airedale Terrier, Schnauzer (or possibly Giant Schnauzer) and Boxer. Any opinions on the good/bad of these are most welcome. I'll pop a poll in as well just to see what folk think...
Well as Boxer person I would say Boxer, BUT if you are wanting to show your pup, there is a saying in Boxers getting your hands on a good show prospect is like finding rocking horse poo reason being out of a litter of Boxer puppies, you will after whittling down the pet from the show pups, will mostly be left with one or two that is show quality, and usually the breeder will have one and the sire will have another....so the odds you getting a breeder to sell you a good show quality pup is rare.... you will get a nice puppy, and if yo just want to play at it , then go for it.

Again, here's a but... the class size in Boxers can be immense.. sometime sup to 30 odd in puppy classes, the logistics of this is odds against you even being looked at.........now a good pup /dog is a good pup /dog regardless of who's on the end of the lead, but in such a numerically large breed , it can be a disheartening hobby.

The GS.......would be my choice for you, (depending you have researched) they are numerically small, you will have a better chance of doing well,

Funny enough this is a breed I adore and have spent a good few hrs talking to breeders around the ring, got a good education on coat type , which is preferred and the general temperament of the breed, males can be stubborn and challenging around puberty...

Cant comment on the other two breeds..

But the bottom line is, what ever breed you go for, it is going to be pet first and show dog second, so you have to go with the breed that will suit your life the best....

the Boxer and the G Schauser are similar charater,, so either one will be as nutty /boisterous as the other.

Good luck , if you want any advice on Boxer breeders, I am here, also got a name off a very good breeder in GS..she may not be breeding now, but will put you in touch with some one who is .
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 12:15 PM
i dont know much about showing, but i picked airedale coz I think they are gorgeous dogs and always love they way the stand and move when I watch crufts
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I chose the ADT as I find them a wonderful breed. I'm curious tho, what brings you to those 3 breeds? What attracts you to them? I like wire-haired type terriers for the coat, and enjoy stripping them vs shaving them, also being mildly allergic to dogs a boxer would be my last choice. But I adore the terrier temperament (and hopefully you do too as you chose 2 terrier breeds) their independent thinking abilities, their clownish behavior (I never stop laughing around the 3 terriers in my family) and versatility in job abilities. But they're not for everyone... the same things that draw mw to them can be a problem for alot of people. So really, it comes down to what you want to do with your dog, and what you want outta the experience with your pup.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 01:44 PM
The Airedale and Giant Schnauzer are both big dogs which can be strong-willed and independant of mind. The GS is a natural guard dog as well. If you`re prepared to put in the training go for it. Boxers I know little about - but nearly all the ones we meet are rarely let off the lead so I`m guessing they need a bit of work too .
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I would say Boxer, if you want to show, as the others are all quite demanding to groom for the show ring. Unless you have stripping experience or a good mentor that is.
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I have hand stripped before although I might need refresher lessons. I know where I can get them though. I think what attracts me to all of them is the fact that they are eternal puppies and generally like to act the clown a little. They aren't sit around and do nothing types.

I have had to put a lot of work in training muttley so I am not afraid of putting in the training and the work needed.

It is just so hard to make a decision, and hubby is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. He just says "whatever you like hon".
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I picked GS just because i know one,he is fantastic!! the owner has a GS and a MS, he uses a mobility scooter with the GS walking next to him and the mini sat on the front!! he walks them for miles!! he says that if he didn't he wouldn't have a house left as they need loads of mental activities and are VERY strong willed and independent good luck choosing xxx its sooo exciting!! xx
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2009, 08:33 PM
i love GS there are two that come in the park and they are such lovely dogs