Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sonny
New Member!
Female 

31-10-2010, 06:43 PM

Pup not feeding

can anyone give me advice my whippett bitch had 8 pups friday night 7 of them doing well but one is not feeding at all, i am putting her on the teet but not suckerling at all any advice pleasexxxxx.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 07:01 PM
You need to start hand feeding her every two hours and see how she takes! Why isnt she feeding from the teats, is she just to weak to suckle?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 08:37 PM
If there are no obvious reasons I would try either some nutri drops
http://www.vet-medic.com/pd_Nutridro...30ml_NUTR4.htm

or colostrum
http://www.fitandfertile.com/scrapbo...e-15ml-syringe

Puppy might just need a boost
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2010, 12:45 AM
i am putting her on the teet but not suckerling at all any advice please
Hi, has a vet seen the puppies, has the puppy been checked for a cleft pallet a condition which makes suckling difficult ? Is the bitch licking the puppy or ignoring it , does it feel colder than the others.
If there is something wrong with a puppy it will often feels/smell odd to the dam and she may ignore it or push it to one side where it gets cold.

In addition to the advice already given, to help the puppy identify the teat before putting it to suckle try holding it to the bitch so she can lick its mouth (when the dam cleans her teats then licks her puppies she leaves a chemical trail in her saliva which helps the puppies to scent/locate her teats) . Also put the puppy onto the back teats which usually have the most milk.

If the puppy is to weak too suckle you will need to get an eye dropper from the chemist and use this to feed the puppy with a puppy milk like Lactol .
If you are feeing the puppy, after each feed don't forget to take a piece of warm wet cotton wool and to wipe the puppy's tummy to stimulate it to relieve itself.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:19 PM
What ever you use to suppliment put a bit on the puppy for Mum to lick off.
sonny
New Member!
Female 

14-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone not been on her since this post, you where right met took her to the gets she had a cleft pallet took her home to spend time with her, then I had to take her back to be put to sleep very upsetting .