Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Dog poop

Well this is the second time ive noticed this now and it has me a little worried. Pepsi had a poop the other day and about 3in of it was covered in some sort of slime coating. The only way i can describe it, is it looks like a sausage skin with a hint of green on it. Ive never seen it before and im a tad bit worried incase its something ive never heard of.

Anyone got any clue what this could be?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 08:45 PM
The mucus is a sign of iritated intenstines.

It could have been caused by eating something which doesn't agree with her, or possibly by worms or some kind of viral/bacterial infection.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Sounds as if it might be a bit of gastric trouble. Was it like a mucousy coating? Perhaps she has eaten something when out that irritated her gut and that she needed to get rid of quickly. If it has cleared up now I don't think it is anything to be too concerned about. I would just keep an eye on her for a while and if it becomes a regular occurrence, I would ask my vet. I would keep her on a bland diet for a few days (brown rice is good) and hopefully everything will be OK. Best wishes
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
The mucus is a sign of iritated intenstines.

It could have been caused by eating something which doesn't agree with her, or possibly by worms or some kind of viral/bacterial infection.
Ah right, do you think its worth a trip to the vets or should i just keep her on a bland diet for a little while? Ive seriously never seen this before
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Sounds as if it might be a bit of gastric trouble. Was it like a mucousy coating? Perhaps she has eaten something when out that irritated her gut and that she needed to get rid of quickly. If it has cleared up now I don't think it is anything to be too concerned about. I would just keep an eye on her for a while and if it becomes a regular occurrence, I would ask my vet. I would keep her on a bland diet for a few days (brown rice is good) and hopefully everything will be OK. Best wishes
Cheers aerolor, the coating is more of a slime than mucous.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I agree with this
pointyhound
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Yep, agree with the bland food advice too.

It's diggusting isn't it.

Sometimes the slime is a godsend if it keeps an otherwise sloppy poo contained so you can pick it up. Sorry, too much info
Bo's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Agree with bland food too. Bo suffers with a dodgy tummy a lot - live yoghurt (plain) is good to help.