Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Riprory
New Member!
Female 

08-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Might not be getting a dog- help!!

So I've always loved dogs and wanted to get one, but some of the members of my family don't want to take care of one because last year we had a dog named Rory. Rory was a great dog, but she was also a special needs dog (toothless, blind, deaf, old with small dog syndrome). Since we didn't do any research beforehand, we had no idea what we were getting Into. I've been trying to convince my family that not all dogs are like that, but they don't believe me. Anything I can do or say to convince them?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2017, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Riprory View Post
So I've always loved dogs and wanted to get one, but some of the members of my family don't want to take care of one because last year we had a dog named Rory. Rory was a great dog, but she was also a special needs dog (toothless, blind, deaf, old with small dog syndrome). Since we didn't do any research beforehand, we had no idea what we were getting Into. I've been trying to convince my family that not all dogs are like that, but they don't believe me. Anything I can do or say to convince them?
I'm an old fellow in my seventies and now more or less retired. We got our dog because he gets me out walking - lots - and that has been good for my health too. You sound like you may be at the other end of the age spectrum. But there's much more than the walking. He is good company and we meet and greet other dogs and their owners. So, it's a social thing too.

He also looks after us. If another dog or person gets too close to my dear wife or I, he wards them off. He alerts me when he hears anyone approach our front door and he is always right there with me when I answer it. etc.

But, and there had to be a but. You need to be prepared to make the commitment in time and resources to give the dog the care and exercise he needs.
Inner Puppy
New Member!
Male 

24-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Hello! I see your problem... What I would do is beg your family to take you to the dog shelter and show them that not all dogs are like that. I have a English Mastiff and she is a lot of work. She sheds fur like crazy, I have to take her potty like 4 times a day, and she potties on her bed some times. Im am pretty sure you know what it takes. Your problem is getting you family to understand that not all dogs are like how your old dog was. That can be a tough one. Thankfully my dad grew up with dogs. They where a part of his life. Maybe show your family videos of dog funny dog videos etc. Thats all I can think of for now. Hope this helps!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Inner Puppy View Post
Hello! I see your problem... What I would do is beg your family to take you to the dog shelter and show them that not all dogs are like that.
And/or get a friend or neighbour with a well-behaved do to visit you and your family.

But I think we have a one-post wonder here.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Unless you are in a position to take total responsibility for a dog, then I doubt there is much you can do to persuade them. Unless everyone is committed, it's likely not to work
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2017, 08:03 PM
I agree. Unless everyone is on board it will not work.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Yes, another one post wonder!!!!