View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Is heartworm prevention really safe for dogs?

I want to start my puppy on heartworm prevention but i'm kinda scared to

Side effects listed for heartworm preventative drugs are: vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, and weakness. These pills weaken your pet’s immune system which recognizes the chemicals as poison. The body works hard to eliminate the toxins and major organs, like the liver and kidneys, are taxed. For this reason, the pet’s body is not able to handle contact with the normal bacterial or viral substances in our world, so it gets sick more easily.

Many of these “alternative vets” believe that the long-term use of heartworm prevention drugs are a link in the chain of diseases such as arthritis, liver and kidney diseases, skin allergies, and many types of degenerative problems.

has anyone used hertworm prevention for longterms on their dog/s??? please advice??
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2010, 11:03 PM
thats just crazy
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Nothing is completely safe. With virtually all the dogs here on heartworm medicine, most of them live long healthy lives. Over feeding likely kills may more than Heartgard+.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2010, 01:56 AM
true i just dont wanna think im helping my dog and really be hurting her but i dont wanna not put her on it and hurt her ya know
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Like any medication it has its risks, and needs to be weighed up by the owner. My boys have had the yearly injection that covers it, all I know is I wouldn't like my boys to get it and take the risks of the injection rather than the risk of not having it and wondering why I didn't cover them. It is harder to treat your dog when it already has heartworm and the risks are far greater by needing to try and cure it, as it involves medication based on arsenic and the heartworm already being in the bloodstream which can lead to extra complications.
Each owner needs to make their own decision and know they are only trying to ensure the best possible life for their dog and risks are involved either way.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 03:53 AM
In my experience, heartworm disease is FAR more dangerous to your dog than the preventative may be. Collies and their mixes may be sensitive to Ivermectin based preventatives, but your min pin should be fine. Not only does it prevent heartworm disease but also deworms your dog for intestinal parasites every month which is also important.

Moxie has heartworms when I got her. The treatment almost killed her. Its dangerous and very hard on the dog and the heartworms cause all kinds of lasting damage. My dog still has a heart murmur from a valve damaged by the heartworm disease.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2010, 07:06 AM
thank you i think i'll take my chances with the heartworm preventative rather than the heartworm itself.i have never dealt with heartworms itself i just heard its pretty bad and scary .i was just wanting opinions with other dog owners who have their dogs on prevention. and really it deworms them to? i really didnt knowthat!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by spaznchevy View Post
it deworms them to? i really didnt knowthat!
Some do some don't, it just depends on the one you get
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2010, 07:48 AM
what kinds do deworm them to do u know??
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >