Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Olibabe
New Member!
Female 

09-12-2010, 03:22 PM

What veg can puppies eat?

Hi - i have a yorkshire terrier / Jack Russel cross and she is 4 months old.
on Sundays i have started giving her a little dinner of her own which she seems to prefer to dog food but i'm a bit worried because i give her meat and carrots, broccolli and green beans but i have been told that potatos, onions, gravy, and other veg are no good for the digestive system or are toxin.

i have heard onions and chocolate are toxic before but not veg.

also i was told she was to young for "Human" food which i think is rubbish because when i was young we always had dogs and they ate anything from very young.

any light you can throw on this i would truely appreciate
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Hello there,

Onions are a no no and so are potatoes.

When I cook my pup pasta he gets peas thrown in there and the odd carrot and if I dont have any dog chews left the rabbits are always happy to let him have a carrot of theirs.

Our dogs including our pup are not allowed human food unless it is good for them, this means they are allowed small amounts of cheese, they get pasta once a month and if Louie has a tummy upset he's allowed a ginger biscuit (that also works for travel sickness) and a plain digestive - he gets no more than one of each.

I try to keep Louie off human food as he is lab x springer and they get fat easily but the other two werent brought up in the same way (different owners)

But the general rule is - human food = human food (I'm just naughty ) there are plenty of treats you can give her that are dog friendly

also i was told she was to young for "Human" food which i think is rubbish because when i was young we always had dogs and they ate anything from very young
Dogs will eat ANYTHING - but it doesnt mean it's good for them or isnt doing any harm you cannot see.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Potatoes? Mine get left over potatoes, the only harmful thing I've heard is feeding them green potatoes, which contain much higher levels of solanine, and can exacerbate arthritis, or even be toxic in large amounts.

As for onions, again, you'd need to give quite a lot for them to be toxic, mine get left over take aways and have never had any problems, although you'd have to bear in mind your dog is much smaller than my Labradors.

I never cook human food specifically for mine, but they do get left overs mixed in with their tripe and veggies, which they love. If you start giving these special meals, it could encourage your pup to become picky and choosy, and they can soon train you to feed them what they want
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Onions are a no no and so are potatoes.
Potatoes are fine if cooked, but never raw. (Potato forms the ingrediants of a few sensitive dog foods, for example.)

The only issue I have with giving pups human food is that it can sometimes make them fussy and hold off on their own food whilst waiting for "something better". If you notice this happening I'd cut out on the human meals.

A good idea for leftovers is to stuff them into a kong for her to take time to munch over if want her to settle down for various reasons.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Potatoes are fine if cooked, but never raw. (Potato forms the ingrediants of a few sensitive dog foods, for example.)

The only issue I have with giving pups human food is that it can sometimes make them fussy and hold off on their own food whilst waiting for "something better". If you notice this happening I'd cut out on the human meals.

A good idea for leftovers is to stuff them into a kong for her to take time to munch over if want her to settle down for various reasons.
Oh I got told they werent allowed them my mistake
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Oh I got told they werent allowed them my mistake
No worries. There's a lot of conflicting information out there, it can get confusing sometimes!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Why not raw Evie? I'm aware potatoes are a member of the nightshade family, but wasn't aware raw peelings or potato shouldn't be fed. Not that it forms part of the diet of my two, but they do get the odd peelings thrown in, avoiding any green bits that, as I said, have a higher solanine content.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I was researching on this only yesterday, as mine always get their Sunday lunch too! Apparently, dogs cannot digest fibrous veggies, but the very best veggies to stick to are green beans, followed by peas, and of course potato is brilliant,most dog foods have potato in them! As said earlier, never give the skins,because there is something very toxic underneath those, even the jacket potatoes, never give the skins! I once gave Zena a bit of it, but she refused to eat it, that told me to check them out!

My dogs are always having raw carrots throughout the day, and although they come out undigested, they are brilliant for keeping the anal glands clear!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I think this is why people are wary of the skins, but if they are a normal colour, there shouldn't be any problem....

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002875.htm
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Yes, but that's the advice for humans, but if you check out giving your dogs raw potato skins it's a totally different story. I did it only the other day when I thought I had killed Zena off by offering her a bit of my potato jacket with skin on it. It's the chemical that sits on the underside of the skin that's highly toxic to them whether it be green or not,it's very toxic to dogs (apparently!). I'd rather err on the side of caution, but I know you can't believe everything you read on the net, but there's piles of it on Google about those skins!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >