Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I don't know why but for some reason I find the idea of DAP a bit odd or maybe worrying. It almost seems like doping your dog into an unnatural state and I can't quite get my head round it. I may be completely wrong on this as I haven't done much research on it.
I also don't want to become reliant on it if it should only be used as a temporary measure.
I feel the same as you - I don't really have a problem with DAP as it is non contact one can't say it's cruel, but like all these 'gadgets' it's not exactly 'natural' is it

I would suggest just try it for a short time, as a temporary measure, it may help but for me I would not consider it a 'permanent' solution, the only permanent solution is for you and your dog to be together all the time, since that is impossible for most people then if he has to howl then so be it, a dogs gotta do what a dogs gotta do You did say your neighbours (who all have dogs) were not complaining, just advising you of what he was doing.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I feel the same as you - I don't really have a problem with DAP as it is non contact one can't say it's cruel, but like all these 'gadgets' it's not exactly 'natural' is it ..................
Actually the DAP(Dog Appeasing Pheromone) is a natural way to calm dogs, it mimics the pheromone released by a bitch whilst she is lactating. It doesn't"dope"dogs" it simply makes them relax & be less stressed, without drugs.

T Touch massage or body wrap/t shirt has the same effect, but is of course physical
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2009, 06:18 PM
DAP is Dog Assisted Pheromone. It's basically the same effect as an oil burner on humans. It releases a scent that only dogs can smell that makes them feel calm and relaxed, much the same as a lavender bath for us.

It's harmless to use all the time but I would suggest it's only used where necc' as dogs may become used (immune in essence) to it. It doesn't make them sleepy as such, it just makes them feel more chilled.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Kismet apparently howls about an hour or so after I leave (About when the kong runs out I'm guessing). She's in the garden, so my neighbour throws a few biscuits over the fence and she quietens down again... Talking to the neighbours recently, apparently her 'Howl' has changed to a growling bark and climbing on the table in the garden to see over the fence and demand her biscuits twice a day... Good job they have decided they love her!

Pharaoh and Selkie are inside the house and have the run of the pace and used to have a radio on... Pharaoh howls if the phone rings, and sings along to certain bits of music.. so we had to change to the TV instead of the radio to minimise the music and turn the phone to silent when I go out...

Things we do for the mutts!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
DAP is Dog Assisted Pheromone. It's basically the same effect as an oil burner on humans. It releases a scent that only dogs can smell that makes them feel calm and relaxed, much the same as a lavender bath for us.

It's harmless to use all the time but I would suggest it's only used where necc' as dogs may become used (immune in essence) to it. It doesn't make them sleepy as such, it just makes them feel more chilled.
if using the diffuser you shouldnt use it in 'bursts' it should be plugged in all the time in the room that your dog uses most.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2009, 07:02 PM

That's a nice explanation I don't think I'll get a refill then (until next November!)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the explanation Pidgy, so it's probably more of a natural device than many others. It's shame I can't use it on Bara 'cos she always goes rushing down to the gate to howl

Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Kismet apparently howls about an hour or so after I leave (About when the kong runs out I'm guessing). She's in the garden, so my neighbour throws a few biscuits over the fence and she quietens down again... Talking to the neighbours recently, apparently her 'Howl' has changed to a growling bark and climbing on the table in the garden to see over the fence and demand her biscuits twice a day... Good job they have decided they love her!
That made me smile, Bara likes to find a 'high spot' too, we always thought it was much the same as soldiers in past times wanting to 'control' an area Did I mention that she also howls when an ambulance or police car goes by with their siren wailing. When in town she sticks her head out the window and howls to high heaven, pedestrians fall over themselves laughing
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
if using the diffuser you shouldnt use it in 'bursts' it should be plugged in all the time in the room that your dog uses most.
Sorry, yes you're right I think it can take a few days to take effect even. I meant it shouldn't be used year after year necc, just a few months at a time.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2009, 09:50 PM
DAP is Dog Assisted Pheromone.
Is it ? I've not heard of this All the DAP references I've seen all relate to Dog Appeasing Pheromone

What pheromone is in DAP and is this safe to humans?
The pheromones released from DAP are nature identical to the canine ’appeasing’ pheromones secreted by bitches from 3-5 days after the puppy’s birth. As pheromones are species-specific, canine pheromones will have no effect on humans. The actual concentration of pheromone in the air at any one time is tiny
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Is it ? I've not heard of this All the DAP references I've seen all relate to Dog Appeasing Pheromone
OMG how stupid do I feel!!

You're right, My bad.

*cringe* Oh well, that'll teach me for trying to pretend I know what I'm talking about.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3