Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 11:36 AM

Bright steps bright leg bands.

Ok, they are for the dark, but whats wrong with a reflective jacket and a flashing collar or tag if thats what you want? I mean I can't help but laugh at the poor dog, and think that mine would hate it, also I'm wondering who good these will be when the dogs are tearing round the fields at the speeds they do.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...=ODQ3OTUzMjAS1
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Link doesn't work but surely anything that works to keep them safe is to be applauded ? Some dogs would get too hot in a coat too. And long haired dogs may make tags difficult to see.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:11 PM
If a tag can't be seen then I don't think these will, a reflective vest can work the same as a reflective jacket, and doesn't cause the dogs to heat up, and you can get them in my local 99p store.

Heres a pic of the bands (if it works).

Must admit this one isn't as funny as the pic I saw of another dog.

And heres my Diesel with a vest on, which he has to in the cold where a coat underneath as it offers little to no heat .
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Link doesn't work for me either.

Many coats don't have a lining, so keep longer haired dogs cooler or when the weather isn't cold. Collars can be difficult to see as well as tags. Many dogs are walked off lead, so reflective leads aren't always useful. Leg bands sound good, but as you say may come off the the dog is tearing around or chews/scratches them off etc.

It is whatever best suits your circumstances tbh. If it works for you and keeps you and your dog safe then thats fine
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Pic didn't work either I googled it and came up with this http://www.petco.com/product/112232/...Leg-Bands.aspx I can't see why they wouldn't be a good idea I know my two would wear them - they have medical alert tags/I've been chipped tags and their normal address tag so I would rather put these on their legs than add another tag TBH.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Googled to have a look at them and they don't look too bad - some dogs may not like the pressure on their legs but I imagine some are the same with coats or even harnesses. I might be tempted as collars are useless with longhaired dogs and I couldn't use a coat on mine if they had their harnesses on because of the harness design (though these harnesses already have reflective bits on them). I've actually sewn a reflective bandana to test out for mine which is probably a lot less restrictive (collar just threads through it), I think it's just a case of finding what works for you/your dog.
At least they'd be easy to spot head-on from a driver's POV, where I live there's part of the route where there's no pavement so if I walk the dogs we're practically level with the cars rather than to one side - if I spotted two/four reflective spots up ahead randomly when driving then it would certainly catch my attention!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:20 PM
What I'm thinking though is if collars wont work why the legs, the long haired dogs I know are longhaired everywhere, and many you wouldn't see them on here, plus with experience with mine things on their legs don't stay, we've messed about putting doggy sweat bands on Diesel, he was uncomfortable and they fell off, and I've had coats that are from good places get lost on walks after the dogs have run around, its not really something I would do, plus flashing collars or tags look funny running in the fields let alone seeing just reflective bits lol, also if they are just reflective they wont work so well off lead anyway, which wouldn't be good for me personnally.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Well, being elasticated it would hold down the tufty bits of fur, and Casper's not too hairy on his legs.
For example, look at this picture, placed just above his elbows and hocks, the fur isn't dense enough to cover them and it wouldn't really limit his mobility. Whereas you can't even see his normal collar and you can see the harness straps disappear into his fur.

You wouldn't really use these bands in a field, reflective bands need a light source to reflect, from what I've read it's just to make your dog more visible on the road to passing cars etc.
Maybe they won't work for every dog but I imagine there must be a market for them or they wouldn't be out there and for sale on fairly reputable dog websites. Lots of the flashing collars, halos, etc. wouldn't work for Casper but that doesn't mean they don't work on other dogs