Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
And I said I am not going to bet because of....x,y,z.
Would it be better if the death of the horses wasn't mentioned?
I apologise if me mentioning horses dying has spoilt people's 'fun' in any way, shape or form.
I shall leave it at that. I hope all your horses make through the race alive. I have nothing more to say.
Of course not, I appreciate the death of anything - human or animal - in sport is worth mentioning but in a thread asking what horse people would be betting on I don't personally see the need to try and convince people why they shouldn't bet. If i wanted a discussion on whether we should bet or not I'd have started a thread asking for opinions on the grand national.

Maybe a mod could change the title to read "Which horse will you bet on in the Grand National?"
spot
Dogsey Veteran

08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
So if cock-fighting and badger baiting was part of british history and that has been banned then why hasn't horse racing? Is it maybe because it has not been deemed as a cruel sport?
Perhaps because we have different perceptions of cruelty? You see the fun of racing dogs and horses - I see the expolitation of animals used to entertain you in an activity that they could die in and ultimately be disposed of because they are to slow - to you fair enough thats fine and acceptable and you will engage with it by watching and betting on it - I dont. As I said before there are animal lovers and 'my animal lovers'.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Of course not, I appreciate the death or anything - human or animal - in sport is worth mentioning but in a thread asking what horse people would be betting on I don't personally see the need to try and convince people why they shouldn't bet. If i wanted a discussion on whether we should bet or not I'd have started a thread asking for opinions on the grand national.

Maybe a mod could change the title to read "Which horse will you bet on in the Grand National?"
'worth mentioning'
Hmm.
Maybe you should change the title yes and have all my posts deleted. There's a plan. Then no one will get upset.

Bowing out now. My final word...the video I posted earlier, note the use of whips, if the horses were enjoying it that much would they be whipped??

http://www.stopkillinghorses.com/
Made me cry. So no, I won't be betting.

I will not be commenting on this thread anymore.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:25 PM
'worth mentioning'
Hmm.
Maybe you should change the title yes and have all my posts deleted. There's a plan. Then no one will get upset.

Bowing out now.
I'm not saying your posts should be deleted, if you believe in something that strongly and wish to bring awareness to others then they should be left there regardless of whether I believe in them or not. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean others have to. In all honesty I found the links that you posted very interesting and definitely gave me something to think about. I had just hoped that the thread would be about people sharing their bets for the national and not a debate on whether horse racing is right or not.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

08-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I think horses can be trained to want the adrenalin rush as many other creatures can be.
I think many people will not want to hear that!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

08-04-2011, 10:31 PM
'worth mentioning'
Hmm.

Bowing out now. My final word...the video I posted earlier, note the use of whips, if the horses were enjoying it that much would they be whipped??

http://www.stopkillinghorses.com/
Made me cry. So no, I won't be betting.

I will not be commenting on this thread anymore.
Im with you hon. The statements 'worth mentioning' and of course the reference to the wonderful fluffy luffy world of dog racing world of dog racing has said it all for me.

Night all enjoy your day tomorrow - I probably wont but thats cuz Im a footy fan and my team are rubbish
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Perhaps because we have different perceptions of cruelty? You see the fun of racing dogs and horses - I see the expolitation of animals used to entertain you in an activity that they could die in and ultimately be disposed of because they are to slow - to you fair enough thats fine and acceptable and you will engage with it by watching and betting on it - I dont. As I said before there are animal lovers and 'my animal lovers'.
Do you watch any sport at all? Because essentially competitors in any sport risk death or injury purely for entertainment?

I don't think it's acceptable to dispose of animals because they are too slow or not good enough to compete - at the risk of sounding contradictory I have donated to greyhound charities in the past because I have a massive soft spot for greyhounds and don't think their life should end because they are past their peak of racing and i think exactly the same of racehorses but I think the fault of disposal lies with the owners and that sadly there are some that simply don't care what happens after they cannot race anymore. But i do believe that these animals enjoy the race environment and are let down by owners on their retirement.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Do you watch any sport at all? Because essentially competitors in any sport risk death or injury purely for entertainment?

Would you enjoy watching a sport where one party was not informed of the possible risks?

I don't think it's acceptable to dispose of animals because they are too slow or not good enough to compete - at the risk of sounding contradictory I have donated to greyhound charities in the past because I have a massive soft spot for greyhounds and don't think their life should end because they are past their peak of racing and i think exactly the same of racehorses but I think the fault of disposal lies with the owners and that sadly there are some that simply don't care what happens after they cannot race anymore. But i do believe that these animals enjoy the race environment and are let down by owners on their retirement.
I agree completely. Which is why I will not support the sport that perpetuates the need for the disposal.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I agree completely. Which is why I will not support the sport that perpetuates the need for the disposal.
I know this is probably completely off topic but can i ask if you eat meat?

In this respect I have to wonder how many people who believe horse racing or any sport involving animals are vegetarians?

I don't understand what the difference is between breeding an animal to race or breeding an animal for food?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:53 PM
No I wont be betting, now or ever...why would I waste my money on such a sport? My money would be of more use to any charities supporting the used and abused no longer needed horses.. Horses die/get injuried all the time from such sports.. I will not be apart of that nor support it..
Page 10 of 52 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »