Our sister sites
Our sister sites
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2008, 10:13 AM

Question about Daschund puppy eating .

Hi,

Pip is my 5 month old wire haired and she has been with us now for just over a week. She has settled in very well with the other dogs and is a joy to have.

However, I am a little worried by her eating habits. The breeder told us that she was always the first to the food bowls at feeding times but since being with us she seems indifferent to her food. Somedays she will eat quite well others hardly at all.

I took her to our vet just after bringing her home to check her and he said all was well and she weighed in at 3kg 600g. I have not noticed that she has lost weight but she seems to have far too much skin, if you know what I mean. She seems happy and healthy in every other way, it is just her appetite, or lack of it, that worries me.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Em.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

05-02-2008, 10:58 AM
It's early days yet and thing will be strange to her. I would give her another week or so and if she is still not eating properly and If you are still worried You could try her with a little raw tripe to tempt her appetite, but do remember tripe puts on weight and with dachshunds especially you do not want them to get fat. She won't starve herself, but I know how you feel.I can remember mine as puppies eating one day and not the next , it can be a worry but it does usually pass just takes time for the puppy to settle in.

What food do you have her on at present?
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2008, 01:10 PM
She is currently on Royal Canine puppy (as this was what she had fed by the breeder).
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

05-02-2008, 01:28 PM
That is fine Emma that was the one I was going to suggest as when she becomes an adult they also do one especially for dachshunds.
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
That is fine Emma that was the one I was going to suggest as when she becomes an adult they also do one especially for dachshunds.
Thanks. Pip is my first 'little' dog (after losing my last Daschund pup to Parvo last year) and I am a little nervous and paranoid. When she does decide to eat the royal canine seems to go down well so I think i'll stick with that and try her on the adult when the time comes.

Em.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

05-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I understand how concerned you are but Iam sure she will start eating properly once she settles in. If any further probs only too pleased to help if I can.

So sorry to hear of your loss.
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
I understand how concerned you are but Iam sure she will start eating properly once she settles in. If any further probs only too pleased to help if I can.

So sorry to hear of your loss.
Thankyou so much for your kind words and encouragements. It is highly likely that I will have other questions as the weeks and months go by, I may well call on your expertise again in the future.

Thanks again.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

05-02-2008, 10:07 PM
I am no expert by any manner of means, but if I can help, I will.