View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Labs work in the same cover now as they do though----I know that the original purpose was different but the purpose now is to retrieve from cover in the same way.

rune
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Labs work in the same cover now as they do though----I know that the original purpose was different but the purpose now is to retrieve from cover in the same way.

rune
Yes, thats true but labs arent primarily hunters and also, their tails are anatomically different to a HPR's and work differently.

A vizsla's or GSP's tail for example is very long and thin, almost like a whip with very thin skin and fur covering. As we all know, a labs tail should be very thick and shorter in length with a denser coat. Long, whiplike tails if left undocked can easily get damaged when a dog is crashing about in the bracken trying to flush the pheasant out. Easiest option is to dock the tail. I think the French had it right when they produced the Brittany with a natural bobtail.

Correct me if i'm wrong but a labs tail does not move like a HPR's. You have a springer yourself Rune, you know how quickly they wag and a HPR's moves at the same speed when on a scent. I've only ever seen labs picking up but i'd be very surprised if their tail did the same as Flynn's when he's caught a whiff of feather.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2010, 04:47 PM
as far as im concerned it all comes down to public perception.

It should be the same across the board. They are limiting themselves in not allowing docked tailed dogs to show.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
as far as im concerned it all comes down to public perception.

It should be the same across the board. They are limiting themselves in not allowing docked tailed dogs to show.
Its NOT the KC it's a LAW!

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Why has no one commented on my suggestion that they incorperate working tests in showing classes thereby solving the problem?

You can't really seperate the ethics from the showing---it is all linked and comes under the mutilation of animals in the DEFRA document. It is linked because if the docking wasn't done the dogs could be shown.

If the KC had any guts they'd say they couldn't be shown at ANY show ---that would solve the problem as well.

There you go two solutions in one post----which do you fancy?

rune
I don't understand why you would want to introduce such a thing? What problem would it solve? These dogs already work, that's why they're docked. Or is it more so that you can see the proof for yourself?

Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
since when did you become a moderator?
Sorry, who are you?!

I don't want it both ways---I wanted a total ban on docking.

You work and show your terriers with tails---whats the problem?

How many dogs (other than spaniels who are multi purpose) flush game and are docked? English pointers aren't docked so why are the German?

rune
Any credibility you had in this thread has just disappeared following that comment The fact that you don't even know the difference between the English and German Pointers just goes to show how little you know about gundogs and HPRs and shows to me how little you know about docking these dogs and the reasons behind it.

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Ah, sorry. As I said, I couldn't open the link so assumed it was about docking full stop. Anyways, now I know what the intent of the thread is about, just to chuck in my two pennorth, yes, there is an anomoly. The anomoly could be sorted out very easily by banning all docked dogs from Crufts and any other show
No problem. It's a shame you can't see the link, the bit under "campaigns" shows some of the dogs that are docked for working reasons and denied entry at certain shows because of it.

Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
English pointers are just that...Pointers! They are bred for working on the grouse moors where there is very little to damage a tail on. They find game amongst the heather and then point, job done.

German pointers are HPR's who are expected to work any kind of cover and flush from the thickest of vegetation. Upon any game being shot they retrieve it, a pricked bird may have run on and hidden once again in thick cover. The speed of a HPR's tail when it's on a scent is just as fast as a spaniels.

Going back to the campaign, I was aware of this through the various clubs i'm involved in and being the owner of a docked dog (albeit just before the ban) I applaud it. Both Kimmax and Bareve are top breeders of GWP's and are very successful both in the field and in the ring and they have a dilemma on their hands with regards to docking. These are true dual purpose dogs and (arguably) the finest examples of this breed in the UK and yet, if docked to fulfill their working role, cannot be seen at Crufts.

I do wonder, if the ban continues, if it will create a divide in types like the labs and spaniels.
There's a already a split between Lab and Spaniels, did you mean to put HPRs etc?

I've been following the campaign as I'm a member of one of the groups myself, I've just never posted for some reason!
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Its NOT the KC it's a LAW!

rune
you can legally dock working dogs, i thought that was the whole point of the thread why they can be shown at some but not others. i think it should be the same across the board and dont think people should be penalised when following the law.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
you can legally dock working dogs, i thought that was the whole point of the thread why they can be shown at some but not others. i think it should be the same across the board and dont think people should be penalised when following the law.
So did I! At least you've bothered to check!

I agree, people have docked their dogs legally for working purposes. So why should they be excluded from being shown - they haven't broken any laws.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:17 PM
They do except for working----they are moaning that they are allowed to show docked at some shows but NOT at crufts.

rune
Again, the best outcome as far as dogs are concerned is for docked dogs not to be allowed to show at any show. Problem solved in far more ways than just the vanity of the owners winning prizes
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Again, the best outcome as far as dogs are concerned is for docked dogs not to be allowed to show at any show. Problem solved in far more ways than just the vanity of the owners winning prizes
In what way is the problem solved? Dogs will still be docked for working purposes. Or are you happy for them to be docked as long as you don't have to look at them?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
So did I! At least you've bothered to check!

I agree, people have docked their dogs legally for working purposes. So why should they be excluded from being shown - they haven't broken any laws.
Oh dear----they haven't and they are allowed to work their dogs docked but the LAW says they can't be shown where people pay for entry. So they have to choose which aspect is more important to them.

rune
Page 12 of 29 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »