View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2016, 10:49 AM
When I helped a lady with two rough collies that didn't want to get into her car we used a stooge dog and they then saw that it was good to go in the car. If you have a friend with a dog that likes going in the car that might help. Also feeding him in the car and just sitting while he eats it and then after he has got used to that, doing it with the engine running. Have the radio on as well. Hope you find a solution. He obviously thinks the car means the vet. Next time you have to go to the vet take some yummy treats with you so that he sees the vet as a good thing. Even if the visit isn't.
cozerdog
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Corrine, please stay in touch and let us know how Archie gets on.
Thanks for the interest, I still can't get Archie in to the car, we even got a ramp to try and get him in the back but he was scared of the ramp , he will need to go to the kennels soon, I know they can come and pick him up, I just hope they will be able to get him in their van
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2016, 01:59 PM
I have the very same problem with a sheepdog pup we got last year. His first journey to us was not a good one, as he was sick a few times in the car and much of the road was single track and quite rough in places.

He is now almost 12 months old and still detests any car or going in the Landrover. I have tried all the methods I can think of - ie just putting him in and taking him on short trips (with and without other car savvy dogs), feeding him in the Landrover and the pick-up (as I wondered whether he had just formed a hatred of going in one type of vehicle), taken him on very short trips to the training field to encourage him to realise that fun things happened when he travelled. All to no avail.

I am giving him a break from travelling for the time being and am starting to get him to run behind the quad now, hopefully we will progress to his sitting on the back and feeling the movement and I will then try getting him in a vehicle again.

It is really frustrating and it is limiting his life at the moment, as he is getting left in the kennels when he could be out and about - but we will have to work together at his speed.

I do hope you can find a solution for Archie too.
cozerdog
New Member!
Female 

04-04-2016, 10:14 AM
Thank you, I will just keep trying
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2