Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Do the cats not avoid..
One of mine has been known to tease collie... stands near then as soon as collie runs, up a tree..I am aware that if ever collie caught cat there would be blood shed. Not sure whose.

But what happened when the dog woke up that time.(question mark not working)
They run away once she chases them. But they try to creep in the room most times and cuddle up with us (if Bella is asleep). They don't REALLY try and tease her. Admittedly a few times our male cat will give it a go. The black cat just keeps her distance, and she will hiss and swipe if needs be (which Bella pays no attention to, and still thinks its a game!)

Bella was quite excited for me to be home, so she was fussing around me, then cat sauntered off, then asked to go out and Bella didn't bother with her.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Chloe and Sashi my cat are the same size and I'm certain Sashi thinks she's a dog!

Yesterday Sashi spent the afternoon indoors and because both she and Chloe were bored they had a game of rough and tumble which involved a lot of noise and them rolling around together on the carpet.

They really enjoyed themselves and when they were exhausted they jumped on my knee and fell asleep curled up together.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
I've found the same as others in this thread, Rocky was fine with Cheetah (tho if she ran he would run after her in more of 'game' sense) but if there were cats in the garden he would run after them growling - telling them to get off his patch no doubt
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2012, 03:52 PM
I agree with others - it's the chase they seem to be interested in. On another post I pointed out that my dog pokes his nose through every garden gate and gaps in hedges checking for cats - the other day I was walking past a driveway and suddenly spotted a big ginger cat sat right in the middle, the cat didn't flinch when he/she saw the dog and the stupid dog didn't even see the cat! I've come to the conclusion that he likes the movement and the opportunity of a chase. I think if he chases towards a cat and it doesn't move he'd run off with his tail between his legs.

I would love a cat btw - but couldn't put the poor creature throught it.
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2012, 12:46 PM
If I could choose again, I wouldn't have the two together unless it was from a very young age on each side. Even then I would be dubious.
My OH had the two cats, I've always wanted a dog. When we got our house, I was determined to get a pooch. Didn't realise it would be QUITE so difficult to get the bunch to get along! x
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 03:57 PM
When collie here gets one glimpse of a cat, she barks and bounces on all four legs. Cat can be sitting still in a tree waiting to come in, and collie goes berserk to get at cat. No chase involved; reminds me of the TV cartoon cat who hated meeces to pieces!
PointyDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2012, 10:40 AM
I've got a mainly whippet lurcher. His prey drive is through the roof! If it moves he chases it! It was hard work at first with the cats. They ran, he chased, training him made no odds, as the desire to chase overcame any training everytime, so the cats learnt to get out of the way and I made sure there were lots and lots of safe places for them to go. He didnt chase with the intention of hurting them, but I couldnt guarantee he wouldnt accidentally,

Over time the cats stopped running, he stopped chasing and everything settled down. Ive had him just short of a year now and I cant remember the last time he chased the cats. They all sleep happily together on the bed and have even been found cuddled up together on occasion! So dont be despondent, you will get there even if it doesnt feel like it now
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2