Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisalou
New Member!
Female 

07-03-2008, 07:05 PM

3 year old dog started peeing inside again

Hi all,

I´m hoping for some advice on a problem we´ve got with our 2,5 year old coton de tulear dog. He´s fully house trained but yesterday he peed on the sofa. He´d just been out for his morning walk. Today, same thing again, he´d been out, had a good walk, pooed and peed and then came home and peed on the sofa.

Nothing has changed in recent times although he was put into the kennel this weekend as we were away but he´d been home since Tuesday and he peed on Thursday for the first time. Now obviously I´m concerned that although I´ve cleaned the sofa as well as I can that there´s still going to be a smell of wee and he´s going to keep going back and peeing. It´s bad enough that he´s peeing on the sofa but it´s a really nice sofa

Sooo is there anything that I can use on the sofa to deter him peeing there again, ie natural products as we have a baby.

And... can anyone help as to why he´s doing this and what we can do to stop it?

Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi Lisalou your dog may have picked up a UTI (urinary tract infection) it would be a good idea to have him checked by the vet. Any sudden change of behavior in a dog should be checked and a medical problem ruled out.

although he was put into the kennel this weekend as we were away but he´d been home since Tuesday and he peed on Thursday for the first time.
any change of circumstances/routine can unsettle a dog, perhaps because he has been in kennels he feels uncertain /needs to mark his own territory.

If the sofa is color safe try washing with colored biological washing powder, the enzymes should help remove the urine smell, also try putting some pure oil of lavender on a tissue and putting it under the covers/a cushion to mask the scent.

It might be an idea to dissuade your dog from going on the sofa at all , if he climbs up call/lure him off with a treat and into his bed then give lots of praise
lisalou
New Member!
Female 

08-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Marking his territory sounds like it could be the case although it´s strange because he´s never done this before after being at the kennel. So far he´s not done it again but we have been extra vigilent with him.